Last visit was: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 pm It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 pm

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mickes Q&A: Animals to avoid 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Mickes Q&A: Animals to avoid
Well, skunks are pretty but can raise an awful stink, raccoons often carry rabies and will tear you a new one if you mess with them, and possums are just plain ugly.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

The thought of Possums, skunks and racoons not being in your habitat makes me smile for some reason. I guess I just assumed that thery were worldwide. :lol: Skunks can be descented and make excellent pets too...and yes I am from the midwest. :?

If you see Possums in the daytime they are most likely rabid as they are nocturnal.

This is going to be a big trip for you guys with all kinds of firsts. Sooo cool.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:26 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

marky wrote:
Don't forget about the armadillo :o

Yep, and they can carry leprosy. Awfully dumb too. They'll walk right into you. If you drive over one they jump and hit the bottom of your car. Don't pick one up unless you really know what you are doing, they have long claws on their front feet for digging.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Stay outta the palmetto thicketts, we do have 6 species of venomous snakes in FL. Black widow and brown recluse spiders can be nasty too. But as most have said SOS park has lots of traffic...

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:23 pm Profile YIM
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
Hey! Micke, this will be quite the experience for you and your girls! You might check with the park before feeding "WILDLIFE" would hate to see ya get a fine! It is unlawful in some areas to feed certain types...as with the gators!!! There are also tons of wildlife parks or places to see these creatures we have here! I urge you to obey the rules..so no one will get hurt..they have been finding several species of wildlife up that way that have come back positive for rabies :cry: ...such as recently a red fox attacked several people....later to have been pos. for rabies! You could probably come to my backyard and see all kinds of creatures... :shock: or cyber has a small "Critter Haven" as I do !! :lol:

Fri May 01, 2009 6:33 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
Oh! The Springs ;) ...good mention Marky..they are simply great!! Used to swim in one near Gville..I think maybe it was Tallahassee??? Can't remember but I think it was called "RED Springs?"This was way back in the late 60's so forgive my memory lapse! :roll: But cold and clear they were back then! We don't have them down here in the lower part of the swamp...& like you said on a canoe outing you will see all kinds of creatures....really watch the spiders a recluse almost killed me a few yrs back still not 100% and am not too fond of them either!! I was talking to this lady yesterday and she had a really nice young (8yrsold) horse that got bit on his face by a copperhead!! Despite all the Vets care etc....poor thing died last weekend, so you can never be too careful!! But truth be told we are in their enviroment!! That is the case down this way! So I guess we have to learn to live with them! I will leave them alone IF they leave me alone!! Just don't feed the GATORS...unless they are BLUE & ORANGE!!! :lol:

Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Muleldy1 wrote:
Oh! The Springs ;) ...good mention Marky..they are simply great!! Used to swim in one near Gville..I think maybe it was Tallahassee??? Can't remember but I think it was called "RED Springs?"This was way back in the late 60's so forgive my memory lapse!

I don't know of any "Red Springs" up this way though of course we have the world's deepest spring just to our south at Wakulla Springs.

Fri May 01, 2009 11:04 am Profile
Wanee Fan

DOn't woory, no matter how much I love wild life I woun't feed any racoons on the camp site or any gators (blue and orange? don't get that, I'm a swede you know ;) ). And the advice to stay out of "palmetto thicketts"? What's that? Wild forrest or what?

Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Noted the "springs" as well. Thank's for the tip. Sounds a bit like those "geysers" they have on Iceland.

Fri May 01, 2009 12:28 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Micke wrote:
DOn't woory, no matter how much I love wild life I woun't feed any racoons on the camp site or any gators (blue and orange? don't get that, I'm a swede you know ;) ). And the advice to stay out of "palmetto thicketts"? What's that? Wild forrest or what?

Orange and Blue, American college football.

You will want to stick to the Red and Black that is GEORGIA FOOTBALL!

SORRY, I had to represent.

goooo Dawgs! Woof Woof!
Micke, don't get involved. :lol: :roll:
(please forgive me for bringing this here)

p&l

Last edited by atlanta hippie on Sat May 02, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 01, 2009 12:47 pm Profile
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next