Last visit was: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:30 pm It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:30 pm

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What was the Greatest Concert you ever been to? 
Wanee Pro

Post Re: What was the Greatest Concert you ever been to?
1) Weather Report- Des Moines, Iowa 80s w/ JACO 1st Row
2) Denver Pop Festival: Last JHE Show prior to Woodstock 6/69

For more info go to http://www.myspace/iamnotjerry

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:51 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

For me it has to be Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1975?, the Gimme Back my Bullets tour at some theatre in Manhatten. They had some new band called the Outlaws playing warmup for them, we had never heard of them but the word was that they were good....and they were. I had brought one of those cameras with the flash cube :lol: on top of it and about half way thru the show decided I would try to walk upto the stage to get a picture. I got right up to the stage and snapped a few pictures and when I turned around to go back to my seat the whole aisle had filled in with people and I was pretty much stuck there with my elbows on the stage :o . I can remember like it was yesterday, Ronnie VanZant was Passing a bottle of Jack to the people in the audience and a guy passed him a joint and he took a couple of hits and passed it back. Half way thru Freebird Ronnie stepped back and motioned us to come up on the stage, as manny as could fit jumped up with me right in front of the pack, I ran up to Ronnie and put my arm on his shoulder, he was totally in charge, he just motioned us to all sit down,and we watched the Freebird jam Sitting right on the middle of the stage, they never even missed a beat! Just kept playing like it happened every show :P :P The look on my big brothers face when I got back to the seats when it was over....Priceless :evil:

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 am Profile
Wanee Lover

mike12859 wrote:
For me it has to be Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1975?, the Gimme Back my Bullets tour at some theatre in Manhatten. They had some new band called the Outlaws playing warmup for them, we had never heard of them but the word was that they were good....and they were. I had brought one of those cameras with the flash cube :lol: on top of it and about half way thru the show decided I would try to walk upto the stage to get a picture. I got right up to the stage and snapped a few pictures and when I turned around to go back to my seat the whole aisle had filled in with people and I was pretty much stuck there with my elbows on the stage :o . I can remember like it was yesterday, Ronnie VanZant was Passing a bottle of Jack to the people in the audience and a guy passed him a joint and he took a couple of hits and passed it back. Half way thru Freebird Ronnie stepped back and motioned us to come up on the stage, as manny as could fit jumped up with me right in front of the pack, I ran up to Ronnie and put my arm on his shoulder, he was totally in charge, he just motioned us to all sit down,and we watched the Freebird jam Sitting right on the middle of the stage, they never even missed a beat! Just kept playing like it happened every show :P :P The look on my big brothers face when I got back to the seats when it was over....Priceless :evil:

Mike,
Really got into Ronnie back in the day,,,proud to have that band from down south!!! and Outlaws,,Molly Hatchet,,Guitar Wars they called it....fun times.

and speaking of SRV, i mentioned in other thread my admiration for him early on...as in got to see him 8 of the 9 times he played atlanta...the first time was at a small bar here called Harlows and it was $4.96 to get in....the place was small and packed,6-800 people probly...
and got to see him open for Huey Lewis and was so pissed off at the people becaause he was wailing and everybody just sat there waiting for Huey,,,,except me.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 am Profile
Wanee Lover

f2photo,
Not macabre at all, been to MANY, Zappa shows, some people came away from them mad because he didn't play the songs they wanted to hear. Frank always played songs from his new material,of which he always had tons, in concert and would just sprinkle a few older ones here and there. As his band changed personnel he would focus on what they were creating at that time. To me that was one of the best parts of seeing him live, he always had great talent and knew how to use them! I Always loved seeing Frank.....
Mike

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Me too. I've seen him about four times over here and he was a master keeping all his musicians at top (sometime he sat down on a chair with a cig and directed every singel note it seemed). I missed Dweezils Zappa plays Zappa last time he was here (saw it on TV though and it was really good). I knew he was going to play soon and checked today and guess what date he's playing in my nearest city? The 11th of June! One day before we leave the US :( .

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:51 am Profile
Wanee Fan

And Wavo... SRV opening act for Huey Lewis? Well, history told us about that didn't it?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:55 am Profile
Wanee Master

Greatest show... Hmmmmmmm. Probably my first Grateful Dead show. I was just a kid of 13 and went with my best friend and her parents to a music festival in NY. I had never heard of the Grateful Dead yet and I remember my older brother teasing me as the car pulled out of the driveway "There's going to be HIPPIES there! HIPPIEEEEES!" I had no idea what a hippie was but he made it seem like it was something to be afraid of... Big changing point in my life. 250+ shows later, I'm still thanking my lucky stars I went. God Bless the hippies and my pain in the ass older brother...
Close seconds: Ike and Tina Turner (before I knew anything about their home life). I was just a kid out with my parents, but there was such energy at that show. EVERYBODY was dancing and Tina was amazing. Any Neil Young show, he works really really hard at every show I've seen him. Dire Straits - I've always loved watching Mark K play, he and his guitar share something really intimate (I felt like a voyeur watching from the 1st row). The Smithereens - Fun bunch of guys to see.

and it goes without saying "THE NEXT LITTLE FEAT SHOW!!!"

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 am Profile
Wanee Lover

duly noted F2,,,but it's kinda like the whole thread,,how can you list the "greatest" when so many shows were over the top....
but we try....
now yur gonna make me do more research on my earlier shows...ha.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:12 am Profile
Wanee Fan

I've got the Crossroads DVD and you said it all owl. Wish I was there but a DVD is better than nothing even if I missed a couple of songs for sure.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:22 am Profile
Wanee Lover

holy crapitola,,,Winwood at Bonnaroo a few years back was intense,,,lightning in the sky behind the stage as he broke into LOw Spark of High Heeled boys.....i just got chills writing this...

and Buddy Guy jumping into the crowd in front of me and jamming with the people,,,ho lee sko lee

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am Profile
 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next