Last visit was: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 pm It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 pm

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What was the Greatest Concert you ever been to? 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: What was the Greatest Concert you ever been to?
Well, the last one I went to was Tinsley Ellis last Saturday. Musically it was pretty good though I've seen him be better.

Tonight: RJ Spangler's Rhythm Rockers with Harmonica Shah & Eddie Kirkland and Doug Deming on guitar. Its sort of a Detroit blues legends show. Eddie of course goes way back. He was John Lee Hooker's side man back in Detroit and later was Otis Redding's band leader. At 85 you never quite know what sort of show you'll get out of him but he can still be very good at times.
Tomorrow: Roy Roberts (a very underrated bluesman, real deal stuff. Last time he tore it up!)

Fri May 01, 2009 11:12 am Profile
Wanee Fan

I sadly miss the Zappa plays Zappa concert the 12th of June but Bonamassa plays in mid May. Is he good live?

Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Ok owl, I'm convinced. Will book a ticket!

Reading your messages I get memories of stories connected to Albert King and Johnny Winter shows I've seen but have to get back. Have to do prepare a friday evening dinner to me a one of the daughters :).

Fri May 01, 2009 12:56 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Ready to travel to Malmo Sweden owl? In that case I add an extra tickets when ordering :).

Fri May 01, 2009 1:01 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Well preparing schrimps doesnt take that long so I'll tell you about a Johnny Winter experience. A more accurate subject in this case would be "What was the Sadest Concert..."

Have been a great JW fan ever since the Second Winter and saw him a couple of times in the 80-90ties. Allways great shows. After some half-an-hour "warm up" the extra gear went in and full out-put. Remeber one of those shows when Dr. John was on the tour. Anyway...

Somewhere around 2003 or so a JW concert was announced on my favorite club. A couple of friends (one of them drove 200 km) and I and we hadn't heard any specific news about Johnny and was ready to give him a warm welcome since it had been some 10 years since last time. Later we heard about his illness and that Slater character that more or less used Johnny's to fill up his own wallet. That he was helped to a chair was a little sad surprise but nothing to what happened. He opened with "Hideaway" and after about two bars I could tell that something was very very wrong. Playing myself and all... ...there was no otiming as Johnny didn't get his fingers working. The band adapted to bad timing and it was so sad to experience this. My friends eyes filed with tears and he had to leave. Some short slide parts wotked ok but otherwise it simply wasn't Johnny Winter. When we gor home we found some JW fan site and asked about it in the forum there. Just indicating that Johnny seemed sick was too much for those people. "His better than ever" and comments like that. We wrote about a his legacy as one of the greatest guitar players that was destroyed (a lot of youngsters in the audience problably thought that this was the great JW). The ignorance on the formum was overwelming and only some private mailings to us told us about what was really going on. Because of our mailing they closed down the forum!

Anyway, I was so glad seeing him at the Crossroad concert DVD. Even if he problably never play like before again he did a very nice Highway 61 and I was sooo happy that he once again could meet an audience that great and play together with those guys and really have a good time himself. Wonderful that he got away from Slater and I've heard that he got help to recover from people with warmer feelings. When we're in Wanee he will play in my hometown in Sweden (had a ticket to that festival in xmas gift but have to sell it). Anyway... ...all respect to Johnny Winter and I hope that he can contribute for some more years as music is his life. Not to mention his own efforts to get Muddys carrer a new start.

This was long and off-subject. But I mentioned some of the good concerts as well so... :)

Fri May 01, 2009 1:56 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Saw Johnny at x-mas jam and he seemed to be alright,also saw him on moogis abb run.He had a bad couple of years in early 2000 but seems to be back.Its wild he looks almost dead then he straps on the guitar and look out!!!!!

http://mulearmy.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Fri May 01, 2009 2:32 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

owl, I don't know if I'm totally accurate but as I know it: Johnnys history way back was that he had a break 69 when the Second Winter album was realesed. It was a 3-side LP! One blank side and the explanation was that they had a little more good material than planned. That album included the Dylan song Highway 61 Revisited (the very same that is on the Crossraod DVD). He became a heavy heroin addict, and a lot of alcohol as well. He had some crazy years in the 70ties when he had Rick Derringer in the band an they toured a lot. Then he recovered for some years and as a first comeback he produced (and did some typical Winter groove-shouts on the tracks) Muddys first and second come back albums, Hard Again (what a title ;) ) and I'm Ready. It's really great albums. I think at least one of then won Grammy awards. The take of Mannish Boy is sooooo good and one of Muddys finest recordings. You have to listen to thatone! In the 80ties Johnny had a comeback himself and did a couple of very good records and toured a lot. He was at it best and healthy as far as I know. Then I didn't hear much until the concert menitioned. Afterwards I heard that he had a very bad back and Slater supplied him with drinks and pills to havve him going. He had at least one stroke on stage in GB. His motiric skills had suffered from all of this and I guess it's impossible for his fingers to move in that force and speed they once did. Problably the slide playing is more comfortable, he really had a good tone at Crossroads and it was heart warming to see.

Fri May 01, 2009 3:18 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

kevhic wrote:
Saw Johnny at x-mas jam and he seemed to be alright,also saw him on moogis abb run.He had a bad couple of years in early 2000 but seems to be back.Its wild he looks almost dead then he straps on the guitar and look out!!!!!

i got to see that show last December also Kevhic and i had a lump in my throat as did my buddy that was with me...
i thought he did really well at the jam,,,even walking to his chair and coming back out for an encore.....it was cool...and i thought his playing was as well as it could have been considering all he's been thru......kudo's to JW !!!

...and thanks for sharing your story Micke!!

Fri May 01, 2009 3:24 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Not Slater, Teddy Slatus. May he rot in peace. He fell down the stairs at this house drunk and died a month or two after Johnny fired him. A fitting end to a scumbag.

Johnny's heroin addiction is ancient history. He's been off that stuff for decades. He did however continue to drink heavily. He was also on anti-anxiety medication that basically turned him into a zombie for a while. The same sort of stuff that had Ozzie Osborne so zoned out on the TV show the Osbornes (& you thought it was all the other drugs!). Both of them are off that crap now and much more alive. Johnny has also quit drinking. Johnny sits now because he fell a few years ago and broke his hip. He's also has very bad eyesight. But he is doing much better. Still, he's not back up to his earlier level. At 65 years old, I doubt he ever will be but he has greatly improved over that low period.

Fri May 01, 2009 3:37 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

That's right cyber, Slatus was the Soab's name! Suitable ending for sure. I know that Johnny had that stroke just before entering stage in Great Britain (that was a Slatus tour). A stroke often block nerve's and perhaps that adds a bit more to Johnnys struggle. But as mentioned, with all this way back it's amazing to be that able he is...

Fri May 01, 2009 3:42 pm Profile
 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next