Last visit was: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:40 am It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:40 am

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mickes Q&A: Animals to avoid 
Wanee Fan

Post Mickes Q&A: Animals to avoid
Veefingers story about the moccasins in the river led me to my nest subject. My daughters brought it up and I woun't scare them but a father should know what he's talking about (or at least seem to be ;) ).

In Sweden we have one poison snake and it woun't kill you if you're not an infant or very old and get the poison nearby the throat vein. So we not that use to watch out so to speak. With my long life experience ;) I also guessed (as Veefinger stated) that crowded placed like the festival area is safe. Beeing a camper and wild camper myself I have a very good tent but I've seen that many american tents have a very high threshold and I read that it's for keeping crawling animals out. Our tent doesn't have any protection like that but hopefully there's no need for it. Is that correct to say?

Any other unpleasant small animals to be aware of in the area?

The north part of Sweden is famous for their mosquitos and I've experieced that durin a week of canoing up in that wilderness. What about the Wanne ones? Are they really that mean? There's all kinds of tricks and mixtures that you can use here. I have a bottle of the so called Djungel Oil that smells bad and taste bitter whenever you get a taste of your fingers. Anything you recommend us to buy when we arrive to Orlando?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:29 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Mickes Q&A: Animals to avoid
Deep Woods Off is what you should use, and you will need it. I wouldn't be worried about animals in the park (maybe party animals). Just look out for the North American Wookie!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:40 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I don't know about that river trick. I read this article on WebMD that says mosquitoes are attracted by our carbon dioxide. That's why oils work temporarily.

They say the only real repellent is DEET.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/feat ... uito-bites

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:05 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Yes Deep WOods Off with Deet. Deet is the thing you have to make sure is in there....I know it is not the best for you but I would rather toxify for a few days and not be carried off by mosquitos.

Little bit of girlie advice for your daughters...if thier toes are painted - tell them to try and avoid hitting them with the Off...it ruins the paint. So yeah there are some chemicals in it... :lol:

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:10 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Thanks a lot. Deep Woods Off noted and on the buying list. I guess we can cope with the party animals :).

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:17 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

yeah... you really dont need to worry about much. The massive amounts of people w. keep everything away.... Just dont stray to far off in the river.

And keep an eyeopen for ........ ManBearPig

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Don't be so serial Veefinger.....geeez.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:00 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

Watch out for the fire ants also, you will easily recognize there mounds and make sure to keep your distance. Those little demon spawns are vicious and painful. Lucifer had to have had a hand in creating skeeters and fire ants!!

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

As has been said previously, most critters will avoid the area because of all the people and noise. But it is possible you may be visited by possums, raccoons and skunks looking for food scraps if you camped in some of the sites on the fringes. Don't leave food out in those areas, not even in coolers. Don't toss your scraps in the bushes, that's like chumming for raccoons. If you see a slinky black "cat", STAY AWAY! Our skunks don't have the Pepe LePew style white stripes.

You most likely wont have any problems but if it worries you I've heard that dropping moth balls every so often around your camp site will keep them away. Don't know how good that will be for the environment though.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:31 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Possums, skunks and racoons are not in the European habitat so i'd like to see one of those... ;) Perhaps I should leave a half eaten burger outside the tent :)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:26 am Profile
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next