Last visit was: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:32 pm It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:32 pm

[ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Camping Questions 
Wanee Master

Post Re: Camping Questions
Anywhere that isn't reserved is up for grabs. Too many great sites to count! See you in April.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:10 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Camping is only confusing if you are looking for a specific spot, trying to meet up with ppl, etc. if you are just looking for any good spot, there will be tons to choose from. As far as the stage area, it's a breeze. A huge field in front of the main stage, and at the end of the field effectively one road leading to the other stage. It's a breeze. Also, getting from your campsite to the stage area is generally very simple, unless you choose to go way off the beaten path. I love camping at SoS.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:04 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

So, this may be a silly question, but being a Waneewbie I'm still trying to mentally figure out what I'm going to be dealing with when I arrive in terms of finding a spot. I have read the posts about anywhere thats not marked, and I've seen the GRATE google map done by Doug (thanks Doug!), and I've heard folks say just drive around until you find something you like, and so my question is that on the map its hard to see where there are roads to "drive around" is there a network of dirt roads weaving around the park? Are people just off-roading through these areas? I'm hoping for a shady spot, away from the super late night crazies, but not too much of a walk. I've been thinking of venturing out in the Loop area, or off of river road towards the river a bit, as that seems like a more "chill spot" compared to around the lake or by the bird sanctuary. Are there small roads in these places, or is it just River Road and kinda park off to the side? I know it doesn't really matter that much, and I'll just find something when I get there, but being a big planner I tend to think about these things too much, and feel more comfortable when I have an idea of what I'm about to experience.

Staring blindly into space, Getting up to splash my face
Wanting just to stay awake, Wond'ring how much I can take
Should I try to do some more, 25 or 6 to 4'

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:17 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Blindly, Me and you have a lot in common, I asked all the same questions last year too(My first year). Let me start by saying that there are no bad spots. The farthest you could ever be from the stages is maybe a 30min walk if you had the worst spot there. There are dirt roads all around the lake and behind the mushroom stage which is where the big parties are. If you go down river rd it will be quieter and the are some off shoot roads where you can get away from the main rd but they dont go far back. The lake will fill up first then behind the Mushroom stage and then River RD to my knowledge. If you get there on Wednesday or earlier you should be able to get a close spot on River Rd. Which will be shady and be close to stages and close enough to the lake to make an appearance at the parties if you want.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:30 pm Profile
Wanee Master

My friend
It is not that complicated once you get there. Print out a copy of the map (thanks Doug) and carry with you. To answer your question, yes there are roads that scatter over the entire park. Some are far out and some are close by. You just have to decide what you want as you are looking around. I stay around the lake and it is not too noisy, but it is active usually Wednesday and Thursday as peeps are pouring in...doing the same thing you will be doing---looking for a spot. There are many locales that meet your needs, shade etc.
It has been stated on here many times and I will reiterate---the earlier you get there the better the spot will be. Everyone is looking for that magical spot...close, shaded and quiet.
Go with the flow, my friend and don't be intimidated if you don't see what you want immediately. That spot with your name on it is there, you just have to find it.
You will discover friends most everywhere in the park...people are most helpful and can guide you to where you want to be.
Welcome to the forum and to the magical mystery tour of Wanee.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:34 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Thanks for the quick and useful responses, it is appreciated. One of the reasons I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible is because we are going to be getting in from a ~17 hour drive right around the start time for the M&G and wanted to minimize time driving around and get to the party before I pass out! I think we'll try for some closer off-shoots along river road, as behind mushroom will probably be filling up around then it seems.

Staring blindly into space, Getting up to splash my face
Wanting just to stay awake, Wond'ring how much I can take
Should I try to do some more, 25 or 6 to 4'

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:44 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

There are plenty of shaded, quiet camping areas close to the gates. Last year I got there late, around (5:30pm on Thursday) and got a great spot, with shade and plenty of room, with a less than 10 min walk to the gate. As long as you are ok with a quieter scene (and it seems you prefer that) and aren't heart set on a lakeside spot, you should have plenty of options.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:18 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

just realized that my air mattress pump is electric only. i thought it too batteries. anybody know of any cheap battery operated pumps?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:56 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

I am sure someone within your camping area would be happy to lend you a pump. You can always just buy one of those car lighter power inverter. Soemthing like this is usually only $15 and comes in handy for cell phone charging too.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:27 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Thank you. i just remembered that i have one of those. haha. its our first wanee and were just trying to make sure were good and prepared. cant wait to see all the goodpeople and have some awesome times!

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:45 pm Profile
 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9