Last visit was: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:05 am It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 am

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Tent advice 
Wanee Mushroom

Post Tent advice
I recently bought a tent for Wanee (and whatever else I can think to use it for). I wasn't sure which tents were crappy and which were classy (lol @ my wordplay). I figured we could start a thread where ppl who don't normally camp might find out more about tents.

I just went to Dick's Sporting Goods and bought a Field & Stream Berkshire Cabin tent. It's pretty big for just my buddy and myself (14 X 9), but if I get more friends to go now or in the future, it will be cool. Even if I don't, extra room is good, right? Anyway, I'm not familiar with Field & Stream tents, so before I take it out, set it up, and seal the seams, can anybody tell me if they're worth it or not? (Oh yeah, I got it on sale from like $239 to $189).

If it's junk, I'll exchange for another one.

Sun May 10, 2009 9:48 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Post Re: Tent advice
you cant really complain with a price like that. treat it good itll last you a good little while. i had a dome tent 2 to 3 person and lasted me forever i paid like 40 bux lol i wouldnt spend more than 150 bux on a tent unless it was for camping in extreme conditions or it was huge like yours. setit up and see how it is

Sun May 10, 2009 9:53 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

williebeaman wrote:
you cant really complain with a price like that. treat it good itll last you a good little while. i had a dome tent 2 to 3 person and lasted me forever i paid like 40 bux lol i wouldnt spend more than 150 bux on a tent unless it was for camping in extreme conditions or it was huge like yours. setit up and see how it is

Thanks for the tip, Willie. By the way, after seeing your name I'm going to have the "My name is Willie...Willie Beaman" song stuck in my head for a week. Thanks for that as well!

Sun May 10, 2009 9:59 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Big tents are a pain in the ass. I have a Coleman 3 man that cost me $115, that I have had for at least 12 years and it is still going strong. This tent has been EVERYWHERE from the Everglades to the Appailachians. Thru torrential downpoors and high wind. It is amazing. I also have a Hammock Bliss No-See-Um-No-More hammock that I am going to bring to Wanee because of the heat.

One thing you need to look into is does your tent have a removable rain roof. Because if it does not the heat cannot escape, and you better bring an Air Conditioner.

You don't need to get a $700 Northface tent. But you might want to pick up a Backpacker mag and look at the different tents.

Ok.. So i looked up your tent. 1st. Field & Stream products IMO do not last very long. Second, the tent is EXACTLY like the old one I had. Very Complicated to set up. I hope you have a couple hours...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___67907
This is what you want. I <3 mine.

Mon May 11, 2009 8:49 am Profile
Wanee Lover

I have a new tent (well, bought a couple of years ago, but never used). I'm going to do a test run next weekend and set up everything to make sure it all works. That will give me a chance to get new stuff if needed. I hate when the air mattress goes flat at 4 in the morning.

It will also give me a chance to set up the new tent at least once so I won't look like a goob at Wanee!

Mon May 11, 2009 8:55 am Profile
Wanee Lover

concerning the air matress...I went camping on an island at 6 months pregnant for New Years and bought a new air mattress. This is one and only air mattress I have ever owned that did not deflate at 4 in the morning. I pasted the link below. We have used it several times after that too and when we have too many people crashing at the house. Comes with a pump too. Little $$ but worth it IMO.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3942890

Mon May 11, 2009 10:20 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

I have that exact airbed.... It is nice & HUGE. But i punctured it really quickly. A kit from walmart and some Gorrilla tape and it is fine...

The best airmatress I have ever had was an aerobed.

Mon May 11, 2009 10:22 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Veefinger wrote:
Big tents are a pain in the ass. I have a Coleman 3 man that cost me $115, that I have had for at least 12 years and it is still going strong. This tent has been EVERYWHERE from the Everglades to the Appailachians. Thru torrential downpoors and high wind. It is amazing. I also have a Hammock Bliss No-See-Um-No-More hammock that I am going to bring to Wanee because of the heat.

One thing you need to look into is does your tent have a removable rain roof. Because if it does not the heat cannot escape, and you better bring an Air Conditioner.

You don't need to get a $700 Northface tent. But you might want to pick up a Backpacker mag and look at the different tents.

Ok.. So i looked up your tent. 1st. Field & Stream products IMO do not last very long. Second, the tent is EXACTLY like the old one I had. Very Complicated to set up. I hope you have a couple hours...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___67907
This is what you want. I <3 mine.

Well, that sucks. I don't remember if it's got a removable rain-fly or not. I don't think so, because it's got the whole mesh-thing under it to supposedly let air circulate. I didn't think it would be a problem because it looks pretty open and airy (if that's even a word). I guess I'll have to figure out what I need to do before opening it.

As far as the set-up goes, the box says "setup in minutes", but they all say that. The few reviews I could find listed "easy setup" in their "pros" section, so we'll see. I know big tents are a pain in the ass, but I'm 6'4" and pushing 300 lbs, so I'd rather spend a little extra time/hassle setting it up then be pissed because I have no room to do anything for an entire weekend.

But I guess I'll figure something out. Thank you very much for the advice. I'll check your link when I get home. 'Preciate it.

Mon May 11, 2009 11:19 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

I highly recommend getting separate air mattresses for you and your buddy. There is nothing worse than rolling toward your sweaty buddy all night. We took two single air mattresses last year and slept like babies. You don’t feel each other rolling over either.

Mon May 11, 2009 12:10 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

j-mac wrote:
I highly recommend getting separate air mattresses for you and your buddy. There is nothing worse than rolling toward your sweaty buddy all night. We took two single air mattresses last year and slept like babies. You don’t feel each other rolling over either.

Thanks for the heads up, j-mac lol. I kind of took it as a foregone conclusion that he and I would have our own airbeds (one more reason for the bigger tent), but I guess there are some folks who might not see the inherent creepiness of two fat sweaty dudes sharing an airbed.

We're friends, but we're not THAT close!

Mon May 11, 2009 12:38 pm Profile
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next