Last visit was: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 am It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 am

[ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Who is my favorite bass player? 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Who is my favorite bass player?
iluvtopanic wrote:
:D

:lol: Umm, little bro, I can remember when, for you, it was whoever played the bass on "Judy in Disguise" by John Fred and His Playboy Band.

"Judy in disguise / that's what you are / lemonade pie, and a brand new car / canteloupe eyes come to me tonight, Judy in disguise...with glasses ! " :geek:

wierdass lyrics ! See what happens when Cajuns do drugs ? :D

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:42 am Profile
Wanee Fan

My vote obviously goes to George Porter Jr.

Other favorites would be Nick Daniels (right Harry?) Jaco Pastorious, Wooten, Clarke, etc. I'm definitely a funk lover, hence all these choices.

George Matters!

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

always will be my #1 favorite...ALLEN WOODY

RIP

never saw him , only on DVD. man oh man, he was bigger than life

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Barry Oakley, Lamar Williams, Allen Woody....This is going to seem very crass, which isn't my style...... but playing bass for the ABB is starting to seem like playing drums for Spinal Tap. All outstanding bass players, especially Barry and Allen in my book. Nothing against Lamar of course, just doesn't stand out as much as the other two.

Mel Schacher of the old Grand Funk Railroad was always one of my favorite bassists too.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

anandamayi wrote:
My vote obviously goes to George Porter Jr.

Other favorites would be Nick Daniels (right Harry?) Jaco Pastorious, Wooten, Clarke, etc. I'm definitely a funk lover, hence all these choices.

Damn Ananda, busted!!!

Old-Middle School - The one and only Nick Daniels!!!!

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:14 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

JAMES JAMERSON (the funk brothers)

bassist on every classic motown track ever made...his "my girl" riff is classic!

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

dangfunky wrote:
JAMES JAMERSON (the funk brothers)

bassist on every classic motown track ever made...his "my girl" riff is classic!

:D I have to agree with you, that's a classic riff ! But my choice would be Ronnie Lane, Lord rest his soul, who was a member of the Faces, and, before that, the Small Faces.
When Rod Stewart and the Faces played Clemson S.C. way back in 1972, the college was, pretty much, the only thing in town. They played the football stadium, and, afterwards, invited everybody back to the Holiday Inn, for a "party". Of course, the crowd shows up, and, onhand are 27 kegs of beer, six cases of Jack, and, many, MANY bottles of wine. A friend of mine was going to get a beer, and saw a member of the band trying to negotiate the keg tap. "He was a real little guy with REAL red eyes!" So, my buddy pumped the keg as the little guy poured.
He straightened up and smiled, stuck out his hand and said "Thanks, mate, I'm Ronnie. Did you enjoy the show? " Before my friend could answer some galoot runs up, I dunno, either Clem, or, Clem's son, and says "Who are these Faces ? I mean, everybody knows who Rod Stewart is, but, who in the hell are these Faces ?" Ronnie Lane glares at him, screams "f!*king bloody f!*king hell !", flings his beer to the ground, and stomps off to not be seen again, that night. I think that was a hard subject for the guy.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:10 pm Profile
 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8