Last visit was: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:12 pm It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:12 pm

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Helen's Hilton 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Helen's Hilton
susea wrote:
Give her big hugs from me when you see her! Is Nancy going too? I wish I could be at the HooPee Jam. Ya'll have a great time. :)

No, no Nancy this time. But she's great too. I've known her since the 80's and she's always been tops in my book. Two sweet ladies for sure. I love 'em both!

Thu May 14, 2009 5:01 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

susea wrote:
Give her big hugs from me when you see her!

Talked to Helen on the phone last night and told her you said hello. She returns the sentiments. I'm looking forward to going on this road trip with her today. Should be a fun adventure into the wilds of Georgia.

Fri May 15, 2009 8:54 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Aww, sweet! :) I know that you'll have a great time at the Jam!! How can you not!!! So many of my frineds are there either playing or watching. Really bummed I can't join everyone. If Mountain Jam and Wanee weren't coming up then I would have flown down for this!

Sat May 16, 2009 8:20 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

susea wrote:
Aww, sweet! :) I know that you'll have a great time at the Jam!! How can you not!!! So many of my frineds are there either playing or watching. Really bummed I can't join everyone. If Mountain Jam and Wanee weren't coming up then I would have flown down for this!

The Hoopee Jam was like a big, well organized backyard party but with great bands. I didn't hear a single band that I didn't like. It was sparsely attended but I think everyone had a great time. And let me tell you, the Saturday night set with Randall Bramblett, Jimmy Hall & the Tommy Talton Band was just over the top. Watching those three old friends getting together on stage was great. I did record this set but need to check to see if its ok to share the recording. Other sets will appear on bt.etree.org sooner or later and on the Live Music Archive if the band has an entry there.

I consider the Jam a warmup run to Wanee. I got a better idea what to pack and what to leave at home. And being there with Helen was great. Not only because I think she is wonderful, but because she introduced me to so many people who are long time ABB fans. What a great bunch!

Helen and I talked so much on the way to the jam that it took us seven hours to make a four hour drive. I think we were talking when we should have been reading road signs. Our maps were crap and her GPS unit was a bit psycho. Oh well, it was fun to get lost. It did mean that we missed all but two songs by the Yonrico Scott Band though. We also missed all the Sunday bands because we had to get back home.

Sun May 17, 2009 9:32 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Those long time ABB fans are the reason I travel everywhere other than the ABB of coarse! :) The friends I have made over at least the past 5 years has been so wonderful!

The extra lone ride to get there can be typical! :lol: and Helen's GPS has a mind of it's own! ;) The year I caught a ride back to the airport in Bama after the Jam For Duane was an experience! Nancy had her GPS going too! :o Needless to say we found our way but boy did we laugh!!! :D

Mon May 18, 2009 7:10 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Go to:
http://home.comcast.net/~cybergaloot/re ... amples.htm

and click on the Bramblett-Hall-Talton links to hear a couple of songs from the Hoopee Jam. That was one fun little event. I met nice people at every turn. Very relaxed.

Mon May 18, 2009 8:19 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Very nice clips indeed!! Thanks! :) I saw you posted this on HTW. So you are Walter? I believe we have met. Either NYE @ The Fox in 07 or maybe even at Wanee but I remember Helen saying meet Walter... :)

Mon May 18, 2009 9:03 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Yep, I'm Walter Potter. Never been to the Fox. My sister used to live diagonally across the street though! Been to Alex Cooley's Electric Ballroom back in the day but never the Fox ... yet!

I wasn't at Wanee last year but I was there in 2006 & 2007, camped at the Hilton. Middle-aged, heavy set, real long hair, kind of gimpy on occasion.

BTW, the joke is that Barb & I are cousins. Of course we aren't but she can be in my family ... well, I think she is! She makes a good cousin.

Mon May 18, 2009 11:10 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
That must have been awesome W, my gps which I have no clue how to work was nicknamed shutupbitch..... :lol: on our adventure to NC for the xmas jam I made a wrong turn and she said "MAKE A LEGAL U TURN???" :lol: I still have no clue how to work it...anything that comes with a cd to teach ya how to use it :roll: :roll: Well, I let someone else figure it out.... :lol:

Tue May 19, 2009 5:09 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

The Hoopee Jam is one to add to your calendar for next year if you like small, laid back fests. Very cool. Very primitive, no facilities but I heard they may be putting in bathrooms and showers in the camping area.

All the music was good. It was great to hear some new acts like Lingo that I probably otherwise may never have heard. Everybody was very friendly and nice. Just one big old party.

Tue May 19, 2009 10:55 am Profile
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2