Last visit was: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:54 pm It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:54 pm

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Florida summer rains 
Wanee Lover

Post Florida summer rains
This is for you guys coming from "up north".
I am sitting here watching it pour outside for the second day in a row. It looks like the summer weather pattern has arrived here in Florida. In the past Wanee was in April before this arrived, in June afternoon thunderstorns will be the norm.
You can probably count on it raining real hard for at least a short while every day. Please pack with this in mind, make sure you have some kind of canopy or tarp to keep your stuff dry, lots of light clothes that will be comfortale even when soaking wet,and some kind of sandals or flip flops. Hope this helps!

Thu May 14, 2009 6:13 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: Florida summer rains
Damn right. I've lived my whole life in South Florida. We have a saying when telling "yankees" about the weather..."If you don't like the weather in Florida, wait ten minutes". I know the humidity around Live Oak isn't QUITE what it is down here in the Glades, but it's still very rough. You can expect it to be very muggy and hot in the mornings then in the early afternoon the sky will turn black and bust open for a while. All you can really hope for is that it stays overcast and drizzly throughout the evening...if there's enough time left in the day for the sun to come out after the rain, people are going to be falling out. Everybody make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day, and you'll probably want to stay away from the hard partying till sundown.

Speaking of sundown...MOSQUITOES! If you first timers are coming from far away and haven't spent time in Florida, I can't stress mosquito-repellant enough. You're in for a real treat.

I said before in one of the "first-timer's guide" threads, it would be a great idea to bring along some baby-wipes and some sort of baby powder or corn starch. A lot of you won't need me to tell you what intense heat + wet clothes can do to your more delicate regions.

Other than that, rock out!

Thu May 14, 2009 7:41 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Oh yeah, when you leave your camp during the day, you might want to put away things that can be damaged by water. If you're far from camp enjoying yourself, a thunderstorm can spring up on you before you know it.

Thu May 14, 2009 7:44 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

On mosquitos, Dont even THINK about being outdoors in the evening without repellant,from head to toe, If you miss a spot they will find it..Got to take care of our "yankee bro's and sis's-(I used to be one...) :D :D :D :D

Thu May 14, 2009 10:21 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

:lol: All this talk of heat and humidity, plus cornstarch babypowder... "IT's SO HOT, THE FAT PEOPLE ARE MAKIN THEIR OWN GRAVY!!!" HEHEHE, BWAAHHH HAHAHA I crack myself up sometimes!!! LMAO :lol: :lol:

Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 pm Profile YIM
Wanee Lover

Oh the Heat, Rain and Bugs! I remember now, why i moved out of Florida to NY :)

Only good reason to come back is of course for WANEE!!!! Ill suck up the disgusting conditions for a week of Great Music, Amazing People, Killer Vibes and Memories ill cherish forever :)

Fri May 15, 2009 12:03 am Profile WWW
Wanee Gnome

2ndtime2wanee wrote:
:lol: All this talk of heat and humidity, plus cornstarch babypowder... "IT's SO HOT, THE FAT PEOPLE ARE MAKIN THEIR OWN GRAVY!!!" HEHEHE, BWAAHHH HAHAHA I crack myself up sometimes!!! LMAO :lol: :lol:
Now my mother will lhao on that one she is the gravy queen!!! Good One.. :lol: Another thing is the LIGHTNING...if you hear thunder then lightning will be right along with it! DO not get under the trees or electrical poles ...your vehicle is the safest spot!! We have some pretty bad storms they may last 5mins or 5hrs? I spent some time up in OCALA and the northern part of FL when I was a kid and it can get pretty intense..as it does down here. The skeeters are already in full force dwn this way :twisted: You must protect yourselves and children from these pests..not only do they itch really bad they can carry all kinds of bad things such as encephalitis,west nile virus that they can transmit to us.

Fri May 15, 2009 12:43 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Dare I ask is she fat and powdery or a really good cook? :lol:

Fri May 15, 2009 12:53 am Profile YIM
Wanee Gnome

:lol: All of the above! :lol: :shock: Payback for posting pics of me in my altered state in my pajamas :lol: I love you too Mom! :D

Fri May 15, 2009 1:00 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Keep a look at where you are standing too. Those red fire ants are no fun to have on your feet and ankles.

Sat May 16, 2009 8:34 am Profile
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next