Last visit was: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:38 am It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:38 am

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Them Crooked Vutures on SNL 
Wanee Pro

Post Re: Them Crooked Vutures on SNL
KingRhino wrote:
Seeing them tomorrow night in the City at Roseland then going to the after-party .... Really looking forward to seeing them

Very Cool...Very Cool. Envious is an understatement...

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:05 am Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

kevhic wrote:
Buzzy wrote:
I caught both songs and was impressed by their playing but thought the vocals were strained and tiresome. Opinions wil vary :D

I agree,who was the 2nd guitar player

Alain Johannes joins them live...

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

myvinyl333 wrote:
kevhic wrote:
Buzzy wrote:
I caught both songs and was impressed by their playing but thought the vocals were strained and tiresome. Opinions wil vary :D

I agree,who was the 2nd guitar player

Alain Johannes joins them live...

and: Alain Johannes Moschulski (born 1962 in Chile is a guitarist and, along with his partner Natasha Shneider and drummer Jack Irons, a founding member of the band Eleven. As well as his work with Eleven, he has also collaborated with many other bands and artists such as Chris Cornell, Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, Mark Lanegan and The Desert Sessions, both as a musician and as a producer.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 am Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

Hatfield wrote:
I thought the Vultures were pretty good on SNL, I like the sound. I am not totally sold on the vocals as well, but it fits with the band---loud, rock, fuzz, with 1/2 part grunge, and 1/2 part dont fuk around!

Just keep hip hop, emo (not sure what that is exactly :roll: :?: ), and cookie cutter rock bands off SNL!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion........... ;)

That is one reason TCV really tripped me out...I try, but some of the SNL performances the past several years put me to sleep.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:12 am Profile WWW
Wanee Fan

And thanks for Tivo!!

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:28 am Profile
Wanee Pro

HarryZ wrote:
And thanks for Tivo!!

No kidding ....

I haven't seen a commercial in 3 years

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:36 am Profile YIM WWW
Wanee Pro

thedude420 wrote:
Yes, Josh Homme is the lead singer/lead guitarist for QOTSA. He was also the guitarist for a band called Kyuss in the mid-late 90s. Dave Grohl was also the drummer for Nirvana, he guest spotted on QOTSA's 3rd cd as the drummer on a few songs along with fronting the Foo Fighters

Kyuss was awesome! Check out this video for Green Machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc-7FXzbeA0

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:24 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

yea i love Kyuss and pretty much all things Josh Homme. He used to plug his guitar into bass amps to get extra sludgy sound. They are real good and i advise any fan of stoner, desert soundin just plain hard rock to check them out, they not around anymore, but check out "Blues for the Red Sun"

queens of the stone age is agreat band although different. they are one of my favorites.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:22 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

thedude420 wrote:
yea i love Kyuss and pretty much all things Josh Homme. He used to plug his guitar into bass amps to get extra sludgy sound. They are real good and i advise any fan of stoner, desert soundin just plain hard rock to check them out, they not around anymore, but check out "Blues for the Red Sun"

queens of the stone age is agreat band although different. they are one of my favorites.

Thanks for the direction. QOTSA have always been one of the bands I was going to follow more, but did not. Kinda like Bevis Frond...I just have stayed in tune.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:25 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

their first cd , self titled, is nearly impossible to find in a store, real or online, but it can be had for DL if you know where to look. (I can point you in the direction if you wish). Its very very good and more like Kyuss; heavier rock with a desert sort of feel if you know what im trying to say. their 2nd is called "R" and its one of my favorites, a lil more synth-ish, kinda hypnotic riffs and beats. Very drug-ish sounding. Songs for the Deaf is their 3rd album and one that had a few radio hits and had a lil more mainstream sound to it. Good songs on it despite being, not so much 'radio friendly', but songs that for lack of a better word, radio-acquainted. their 4th, Lullabies to Paralyze, is my least favorite overall. Some seemingly uninspired writing, but there are a few standouts, Skin on Skin, You Got a Killer Scene There Man, Everybody Knows That You Are Insane are really good. They put out a great live cd/dvd called 'Over the Years and Through the Woods' that was a very well constructed concert. Great setlist, inspired performance, just good overall. It featured a song off a mixtape series (called "The Desert Sessions") type thing they had done during the transition between Kyuss and QOTSA. They did like 8 or 9 of the Desert Session cds that were a conglomerate of band members of Kyuss and QOTSA along with some of their cohorts. That said song was called "I Wana Make it Wit 'Chu", suprisingly enough that song is about f!*kin. Its also one of my favorite songs of theirs that they polished and put out on their 5th cd called "Era Vulgaris". This cd went back to the better side of the Queens; just great rock songs.

They are not for everybody and its hard for me to tell you where in their catalog to start but i hope this post might give you a small morsel of info. Certainly check out the reviews and descriptions on cdnow or anywhere else you find info about cds. Or ask me anything specific you want, ill try to help. Not that im an expert, but im just sayin..

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:57 pm Profile
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next