Last visit was: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:54 pm It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:54 pm

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Camping Equipment 
Wanee Wizard

Post Camping Equipment
Happy Sunday gang!

This will be my fist solo mission camping and it appears that I'm going to have to be a little more responsible than normal. In my 10 years of festy going I have never owned a tent. Shocking I know. It looks as though it's time to step up and purchase some items. What are some things that you guys think I should invest in? What are good brands?

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:44 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

Post Re: Camping Equipment
Hey lib, last year was our first Wanee and first time to sleep in a tent in decades. We were very happy with our 13ft x 10ft Ozark Trail Pentagonal Dome Tent. I think we got it at Walmart, or possibly a big sports store like Academy. Of course we got one big enough for two regular sized air mattresses and room to spare. We're 99% convinced that we are going to fly to Jacksonville from Louisiana this year, so trying to figure out how we can take enough to be comfortable without overloading. peace, greg

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Hi granger. If you want to send your stuff to me I can drive it down. I think that would be super expensive though probably. Check out Camp Cosmic, they seem to be helping a lot of people in the same predicament.

P.S. Guys there is not one Wal-mart in the five boroughs here, which is ok by me cause I'm a firm boycotter. Yes, I'll admit that I'm a snob. :D :lol:

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:25 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

avoid wal mart at all costs.

you should pick a tent based on how often you are going to use it. if you just want a tent for wanee and probably won't use it again until next year, get a decent but less expensive one. if you're going to use it 10+ times a year, get a nicer one.

i doubt that helps much

if you check www.rei.com, they have a ton of tents from around $50 all the way up to ultra rediculous tents that are made for camping at the tops of mountains.

the cool thing about their store though is that everything has a 100% guarantee. so if you bust a zipper or tear the mesh, you just return it and they don't ask a single question

"Catch the wild fishes that float through the stream. Time passes slowly when you're lost in a dream."

-Bob Dylan

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:33 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Wizard

Should I get a grill or can I mooch and put my veggie burger on one of yours? :D

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:39 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

if we were bringing a grill you'd be more than welcome to cook on it, but we're probably going to be pretty pressed for space and a grill isn't a necessity in my book when everyone else always had one

"Catch the wild fishes that float through the stream. Time passes slowly when you're lost in a dream."

-Bob Dylan

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:43 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Wizard

Don't you worry if you forget anything there will be lots of people to share. One thing that is very important to bring is a couple of tarps for rain shelter and some rope and/or bungee cords. My hubby is really good at setting up camp and hanging tarps so he will be glad to help. Bring a good warm sleeping bag of course in case the nights get chilly. And you can use our camp stove anytime you need it. I'm not sure if we are bringing a grill or not yet.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:48 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Thanks, Lib, that's very kind. I've just started checking out camp cosmic, didn't think of them for possible assistance. I"ll be in touch.

greg

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:07 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

This is what I have so far:

sleeping bag
camelback

I am going to need to buy a tent (maybe a grill?)

What other necessary camping equipment do you guys think I need?

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:28 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

something to sleep on like a cot or sleeping pad or air mattress.

small cooler

chair

flashlight, headlamp, lantern

-Bob Dylan

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:55 pm Profile WWW
 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next