Last visit was: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:35 am It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:35 am

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 need some gd advice 
Wanee Pro

Post Re: need some gd advice
IMO you can't experience The Grateful Dead from a CD or tape or whatever, you have to GO TO A SHOW because The Dead are just so much more than their music (well this is just my .02) you missed the Jerry years but Futhur is on tour now, try to get to a show, listen to a few CD's that you can get your hands on so that you can be familiar with their tunes and then GO TO A SHOW, GO TO A SHOW, GO TO A SHOW....

I could go on and on about the whole experience thing so
GO TO A SHOW!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 am Profile
Wanee Fan

8/6/74 Jersey

Highlights: Bobby banter "Don't climb on the fence idiot", Playin'>Scarlet>Playin'

but as said before, you can't go wrong with any '77.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:46 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Here are some things from which I learned. I only went to one real GD show in '73 with the head next door in the dorm. I was just a "Workingman's-American Beauty" kind of fan. We had not gone to any live shows for years raising kids and all. About '03 my wife gave me A Long Strange Trip by Dennis McNally. That's all it took. Also check out some radio/internet sources like dead.net. David Gans has a syndicated show, The Grateful Dead hour. GDHour.com for stations. Try the Grateful Dead Channel on Sirius-XM. It has Tales From The Golden Road Sundays 4-6 eastern. Also interviews, whole live shows every day, and other clips with great stuff. GD channel is the only reason a lot of people subscribe!

Last edited by Cosmos on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:52 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Another free and easy place for (mostly) great shows from across the era spectrum is the Deadpod. I get it auto downloaded through Itunes but it can also be found online at http://deadshow.blogspot.com/

Minimal intro generally decent sound quality and a new show just pops up every Friday.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:44 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

I agree 1977 was a great year may 17th 1977 Tuscaloosa Alabama had a amazing set list and the band was on fire

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:53 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

it really depends on your taste. if you want trippy, extended jams, then anything 69 and before. great pig pen stuff, before he got sick.
1970 to like 74 were long ass shows, showcasing alot of their new material. also great stuff
6-10-73 from washington DC is awesome because the allman bros join the band for the entire 3rd set. its a must have!!!
i must agree with others, 77-78 were incredible years with crisp technology producing excellent soundboards along with sweet playing.

jumping to 83-85 finds the dead performing new tunes and mixing up song selection. most of summer 1985 was unbelievable. i like 6-22-85 from alpine, wis. another awesome show. you can find sweet sounding 6-28-85 in hershey, 7-13-85 ventura finds the band opening with sat night into fire, wow!

but i enjoy shows that i went to
10-26-89 miami
9-10-91 MSG with brandford marsalis
10-8-89 & 10-9-89 hampton when they broke out all those tunes.

like i siad, its all in what you like

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

I'm with davharry on this one...I think the '89-'90 shows don't get enough love....I just really enjoy the Brent years...The interplay between him and Jerry is awesome and Brent was a great melodic singer IMO....The Hampton to NYE run was magical and a must have for any fan! Have a great day everyone! :)

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:55 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Go see Furthur... closest thing you can experience to a Grateful Dead show. I have seen the Grateful Dead, and it is really the closest thing in the past 15 years since Jerry past away. They really give you that feeling, like you had an experience, like the Grateful Dead used to. They are sooooooooooooo good.

Cornell '77 is "the" best Grateful Dead show they say. Do a google search. It is easy to find.

BK3 at Wanee was good, but at Magfest w. Otiel was light years better. Ratdog at Wanee two years ago was pretty boss.

I can answer any questions you have about the Grateful Dead.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Ratdog at Wanee
http://s164437600.onlinehome.us/albums/ ... e_2008.zip

TGD Cornell
http://stash.nugs.net/attics/77may_mp3_home.asp

I have BK3 @ Magfest too if you want it.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:12 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

willin wrote:
Another free and easy place for (mostly) great shows from across the era spectrum is the Deadpod. I get it auto downloaded through Itunes but it can also be found online at http://deadshow.blogspot.com/

Minimal intro generally decent sound quality and a new show just pops up every Friday.

Deadpod Rocks....

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:17 pm Profile
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2