Last visit was: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What is your favorite Gov't Mule studio album? 
Wanee Wizard

Post Re: What is your favorite Gov't Mule studio album?
me likey too! big fan of Jorgen's.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:56 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Damn - this is hard. Near impossible. Probably could tell you which of my kids I like better.

High & Mighty is not my favorite, because I love them all equally. But it deserves some love on this thread, so I'll throw it out there.

Child of the Earth? Shivers....

I think I'll put it on right now! :D

There comes a redeemer/and he slowly too fades away/There follows a wagon behind him/that's loaded with clay /and the seeds that were silent/all burst into bloom and decay/The night comes so quiet and it's close on the heels of the day

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:59 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Thanks guys! I think I'll have to try them all! And the point on available live shows is well taken, as I do very much enjoy listening to live shows -- I'm just recently discovering how much is out there! But I also like checking out the studio albums. Catch up time!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Listening to a recent GM show on tela.sugarmegs.org, as I wanted to hear some of the newest album (listening to Brazos now). I like, can't listen too closely because apparently I'm supposed to work for my pay, but I am enjoying it. Just amazing how different each ABB's member's band is from ABB, a testament to ABB being a uniquely special group. Thanks everyone!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I was thinking, Govt. Mule may be one of the few groups that I checked-out, purely, on the name, alone. It was a term I'd heard my whole life. It was, usually, applied to describing the various attributes of young women, to wit, "Lookit that gal ! She's built like a gubbenment mule !" So, it had a positive image, though, after working for the state gubbenment for nine years,my opinion should be the reverse, like, it'd be a sorryass brokedick thing, indeed ! So, I sought out and bought that first cd, was properly blown away, and became a big fan.
Then, a good buddy sent me some sets recorded at the 2005 Wanee Festival, and the covers "Dirty Work" and "Effigy" made me see them in a whole new light. For me, it put them on the level with Widespread Panic, like, there was NOTHING they couldn't do, and, even, improve on it.
The Driveby Truckers say that the Three Southern Icons are George Wallace, Bear Bryant, and Ronnie Van Zandt, but, to me, it's a possum, a catfish, and a mule. I oughta' tattoo it on my ass, right above the "Exit Only" tattoo.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 am Profile
Wanee Lover

kindbuddyrow wrote:
I was thinking, Govt. Mule may be one of the few groups that I checked-out, purely, on the name, alone. It was a term I'd heard my whole life. It was, usually, applied to describing the various attributes of young women, to wit, "Lookit that gal ! She's built like a gubbenment mule !" So, it had a positive image, though, after working for the state gubbenment for nine years,my opinion should be the reverse, like, it'd be a sorryass brokedick thing, indeed ! So, I sought out and bought that first cd, was properly blown away, and became a big fan.
Then, a good buddy sent me some sets recorded at the 2005 Wanee Festival, and the covers "Dirty Work" and "Effigy" made me see them in a whole new light. For me, it put them on the level with Widespread Panic, like, there was NOTHING they couldn't do, and, even, improve on it.
The Driveby Truckers say that the Three Southern Icons are George Wallace, Bear Bryant, and Ronnie Van Zandt, but, to me, it's a possum, a catfish, and a mule. I oughta' tattoo it on my ass, right above the "Exit Only" tattoo.

You know they got the name when Jamoe saw James Browns wife somwhere backstage and said to Warren and Woody
"s#%t James Browns wife has an ass like a Gubbenment Mule"

I allways thought the name came from them working so hard

http://mulearmy.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:58 am Profile
Wanee Pro

"The Driveby Truckers say that the Three Southern Icons are George Wallace, Bear Bryant, and Ronnie Van Zandt, but, to me, it's a possum, a catfish, and a mule. I oughta' tattoo it on my ass, right above the "Exit Only" tattoo."

I've read a lot of funny stuff on this forum but that might be the best thing I've seen yet.

Kindbuddyrow, I definitely owe you a beer.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:47 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

kevhic wrote:
kindbuddyrow wrote:

You know they got the name when Jamoe saw James Browns wife somwhere backstage and said to Warren and Woody
"s#%t James Browns wife has an ass like a Gubbenment Mule"

I allways thought the name came from them working so hard

The late Jerry Clower was the first, well, ummm, celebrity that I heard use the term. Oh, and to correct myself DBT referred to their icons as the Three Alabama Icons, not, as I stated.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 am Profile
Wanee Pro

I never heard the term used to describe women. I always figured it was from the government's promise of "40 acres and a mule". Doesn't Warren sing "where's my 40 acres, where's my mule" on the one CD I do have, I think just self-titled? Well, I've downloaded a bucket full of GM to listen to over the weekend, which may begin early since it's sleeting/snowing here in NW Louisiana and that usually shuts everything down since no one knows how to drive in this stuff. And of course it's mardi gras so the university is closed Monday through noon Wednesday. Now that's civilized, and why I'd have a hard time working in another state. Not getting Mardi Gras off work? Barbaric! Laissez les bon temps roullez, everyone!

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:14 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

it's a SNOW MULE DAY!!

so enjoyed reading these posts. great stuff.

and this reference seems similar to JJ Grey's "she's got an ass like an army mule"

I have never known why they are Gov't Mule...had people ask me and I never know what to say!

they definately work hard. THANK YOU MULE!

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:00 pm Profile
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next