Last visit was: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:57 am It is currently Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:57 am

[ 9 posts ] 
 Paul kantner has died 
Wanee Lover

Post Paul kantner has died
Glad i saw them in 2014 with super scab jefferson starship. but for 25 bucks it was worth it

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:13 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

Post Re: Paul kantner has died
Awwwwwww. This makes me really sad. I guess I'm lucky to have seen the 50th reunion at LOCKN.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:05 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Saw him with JS in, I think, 1984. Grace was with them & Thomas was the primary lead singer. Very good show.

Also saw him during the brief life of the KBC band, with Balin & Jack Casady. That show was outstanding.

What a crappy month this has been.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:49 am Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

SeaPA wrote:
What a crappy month this has been.

All so true....seems all our OLD music is slowing dying away...

and I'll surely miss them.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:29 am Profile
Wanee Lover

As I've said elsewhere: January 2016-- cut the crap already :(

I think I saw Kantner perform only once, with a variant of the re-formed Airplane... way back the mid 90s I think? They had hired guns, save for Paul and Marty Balin.

It was one of the earliest Summer Of Love tour things, Quicksilver and Big Brother & the Holding Company also were on the bill. They had some young hot thing as Janis... the gal was really good.

Anyways. The gig was in a strip mall, the venue was a converted Winn Dixie, and the sound was simply awful. They just gutted the place and painted all the walls black. Paul strummed an acoustic 12 string the whole set, and had a hell of a time with feedback and such. He was pissed the whole show... he was known to be ornery when things were going good, so you can imagine how this was :shock: But the band, and Marty in particular, were really good. The venue closed within a few months.

I had a friend in high school who was a huge Airplane fan... he 'made me' listen to them a bunch back then ;) ... He hated drugs, hated pot smoking hippie types, but loved their music. In some ways they were way more weird and experimental than the Dead. The Airplane certainly bent the musical forms way out of shape...

Fly on, Paul.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 am Profile
Wanee Lover

like many i was a big jefferson airplane fan. sad to see paul had died. considering he smoked cancer sticks as long as he did he had a long life. i always thought he was the apex of the bands success. :(

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:15 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

That was sad news, indeed. I am and always will be a big Airplane, and Starship fan. Saw them in all their morphs, even last fall at a little Palm Beach Ballroom with a sole survivor permitted to use the name Starship....I cherish our musicians as they give us the tunes to swirl in our heads anytime we want, even when they are gone. RIP, Paul Kantner, thanks for the political insights and melodies.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:56 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

Signe Anderson died on the same day. She was the first female singer in the band...

Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:30 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

creepy :o

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:52 am Profile
 [ 9 posts ]