Last visit was: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:33 pm It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:33 pm

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Dickey Betts love'm or leave'm...??? 
Wanee Peach

Post Re: Dickey Betts love'm or leave'm...???
Listen, not sure if everyone/anyone knows the circumstances surrounding the incident that ultimately sealed Dickey's departure from the band, but while it was most likely justified at the time, it does not nullify what he was and always will be to the band; a founding member and integral influence on its sound, now and forever. Anyone who disputes that has not a clue what the Brothers were ever about. Can't believe this thread was even started.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:37 am Profile
Wanee Lover

At the risk of alienation, I fondly remember Mr. Betts, altho he has not really conducted himself in a proper manner at times. ABB was the main tunes played at most of our gatherings in the early 70's, be it weddings, weekends, eulogies (lost of lot of friends in those years). I named a daughter after the song "Jessica" which I still listen to and get chills.......he screwed up.......most people usual do albeit rich, poor, talented, boring, hanging by a thread, winners, losers etc. Just look at a former golf pro, or just look at capital hill.......the key is, will they eventually change for the better, I'm still betting that Dickie will finally get his s#%t together, grow up and be the better man. Sorry for the long lecture, just my humble opinion having been a screw up myself a long time ago.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:29 am Profile
Wanee Lover

I saw him play twice when I was young. 1978 & 1980. He was not good, he was great! You can't take away the fact that he is a living legend.

He deserves the upmost respect, especially from ABB fans. He may be a shadow of himself, but he is in his sixties.

Even with his emotional and drug/alcohol related problems, he has been married for many years to the same woman. That says something.

Dickey should be revered around here.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:55 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

grandmacracker wrote:
At the risk of alienation, I fondly remember Mr. Betts, altho he has not really conducted himself in a proper manner at times. ABB was the main tunes played at most of our gatherings in the early 70's, be it weddings, weekends, eulogies (lost of lot of friends in those years). I named a daughter after the song "Jessica" which I still listen to and get chills.......he screwed up.......most people usual do albeit rich, poor, talented, boring, hanging by a thread, winners, losers etc. Just look at a former golf pro, or just look at capital hill.......the key is, will they eventually change for the better, I'm still betting that Dickie will finally get his s#%t together, grow up and be the better man. Sorry for the long lecture, just my humble opinion having been a screw up myself a long time ago.

:) Good : I read an interview with Dickie several years ago and, in it, he specified how impt. it was to "do the best you can." He talked about how an old man used to ask him that, everytime he saw him, so, he put it in a song. He also talked about his fondness for native American culture. Overall, it was a thoughtful, positive interview. He didn't discuss the Allmans, at all, which would include, not bad-mouthing them.
:( I saw him with Great Southern at a blues festival in Newnan Ga., home of writer Erskine Caldwell, and, somehow, I wound up close to the side of the stage in a concession area. I saw this guy walk to the side of the stage and launch two crystal white snotwads out of each nostril, sort of a reverse snort. My wife saw it, too, and retched for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, it was Dickie who blew goo. He did an okay show. I mean, nobody threw their bra onstage, or, anything.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:05 am Profile
Wanee Lover

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:10 am Profile
Wanee Demi-God

As a BIG ABB fan.....I respect DB.....Love to hear DB and Great Southern.....Don't want him back in ABB.....But damn it I would have loved to have seen him play with them at lest one more time. Wierd huh?! :roll:

THE "MRS. VIPER DANCE"

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:18 am Profile
Wanee Master

Not knowing much or caring about his personal life, I remain a big DB fan. Blue Sky is one of my favorite songs. I love it even more considering it was written for someone he loved... He's human like the rest of us, but an AWESOME guitarist, for that I say "love 'em!"

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Love him

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:29 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

man y'all gotta work out this negative vibe....
dont hate on Dickey

and dont JUDGE

........... a few years back I lost a good friend who was partying with someone from panic....while it is easy to point a finger at this person....it was a mistake...people make foolish decisions....
life is about moving on...gaining understanding.....and people make bad moves when they are messed up on drink or drugs....

so the only person who deserves to be judged....is .....yourself by yourself......

PEACE begins Within...........

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:38 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

...treading lightly.... First, if a thread is started with a question of folks' opinion, I say fine, let everyone state theirs respectfully without being criticized, after all we each have our own view of the world. As for me, I'm a long long time fan of Dicky's talents. Two words say it all for me: Elizabeth Reed. I have the ABB Syracuse CD from either 70 or 71 (not with me at the moment and I'm too sick to get out of bed to look for it) and with Dreams and Elizabeth Reed back to back, each 19 minutes, it's a glorious 38 minutes of music, thanks to Duane and Dicky both (and the rest of course). Dicky's first solo album (Long Time Gone, I think?) is amazing. I just love Let Nature Sing. It would go so well at Wanee. I'm just realizing I never did get any Great Southern beyond their first album, which was very nice, so I need to stock up. Anyway, unfortunate as circumstances turned out between him and ABB, c'est la vie mes amis, it's all part of the grand story. "Early morning sunshine tells me all i need to know."

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 pm Profile
 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next