Last visit was: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am

[ 9 posts ] 
 Need Help...Low Country Boil 
Wanee Mushroom

Post Need Help...Low Country Boil
Okay, Good People....

We are hosting our friends engagement party and have decided to do a Low Country Boil. This will be the first time for us so this should be "good times!" I have a good idea of the main ingredients (shrimp, potatoes, corn, etc...) but want to know if anybody has any special tips, tricks, etc...when cooking up their Low Country Boil. Any special additonal ingredients, spices, cooking tips that y'all would be willing to share would be much appreciated! We are hosting 30 people so I'm nervous as hell about the outcome! Thanks Everyone! :)

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:26 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Post Re: Need Help...Low Country Boil
Don't the bag of crab boil seasoning.............

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:01 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

The important thing is to sequence your ingredients by cooking time. So get your pot prepared with seasonings (liquid/bagged boil mix, lemons, onions, garlic, salt/seasoning salt, cayenne pepper), then add your ingredients in order: potatoes first, then corn, sausage, then seafood...crabs, shrimp and the like. Some people turn off the pot once everything is cooked and let the boil soak in the water for a but...pick up extra seasoning. I prefer to season the water strongly initiallly, once it's done you won't have to patience to let it soak.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Clijohns wrote:
Okay, Good People....

We are hosting our friends engagement party and have decided to do a Low Country Boil. This will be the first time for us so this should be "good times!" I have a good idea of the main ingredients (shrimp, potatoes, corn, etc...) but want to know if anybody has any special tips, tricks, etc...when cooking up their Low Country Boil. Any special additonal ingredients, spices, cooking tips that y'all would be willing to share would be much appreciated! We are hosting 30 people so I'm nervous as hell about the outcome! Thanks Everyone! :)

just make sure you've got enough seasoning! usually you can buy the zatarains seasoning that comes in bags (use a couple). some cut lemons are a nice touch too.

the order is new potatoes, sausage, corn then the skrimps. shouldn't take any longer than 30mins. the potatoes obviously taking up most the time, while the shrimp- no more than 3mins (depending how much you've got). keep a good eye on em though. overcooked shrimpys aren't the best. when it's done and on the table, try some of everything. if it doesn't have enough seasoning, grab a can of the dry zatarains and sprinkle over it all.

also, if you like hot sausage, throw some in there with the regular stuff!

<---my lab Mahi encountering her first blue crab

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:20 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Great information everyone! Thank-you for responding! Do you guys think the Zatarins is a better option than plain 'ol Old Bay? I was going to get a couple cans of Old Bay and throw it in there but if you guys think the Zatarins has a better taste, I'll go with that!

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:50 am Profile
Wanee Lover

don't know how to do a Low Country Boil...but I sure know how to do a HIGH country BAKE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Try cauliflower, it soaks in alot of seasoning. Real good.

Shrimp
Crawfish
Crab Legs
Sausage
Potatoes
Corn
Onions
Chopped Garlic
Carrots

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:17 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Clijohns wrote:
Great information everyone! Thank-you for responding! Do you guys think the Zatarins is a better option than plain 'ol Old Bay? I was going to get a couple cans of Old Bay and throw it in there but if you guys think the Zatarins has a better taste, I'll go with that!

either or! the bags just makes it an easier measurement. mix and match both, can't go wrong! and let us know how it turns out!

<---my lab Mahi encountering her first blue crab

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Don't forget to add some mushrooms. They also soak up lots of flavor. Mmmmm Mmmmmm GOOD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:56 am Profile
 [ 9 posts ]