Last visit was: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:06 am It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:06 am

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 MUST-HAVE Allmans recordings from 1970-1971 
Wanee Mushroom

Post MUST-HAVE Allmans recordings from 1970-1971
I've heard a lot of live Dead material. Their recordings from certain eras are unforgettable ('73 - whew). What a blessing that they were able to leave behind such an enormous live recording legacy. The Allmans weren't so lucky, with Duane cut down in his prime, and sadly there are few recordings out there from his era.

One real gem is the 9.19.71 SUNY Stonybrook set. The audio isn't great at the beginning, but it improves as the set goes on, and the band's chemistry is just celestial. Perhaps the greatest live recording of the Brothers that I've ever heard is the rendition of "Dreams" towards the end of the set. This balanced, rich 20-minute version showcases smooth, mellow drumming, Dickey playing with unusual focus and fluidity, and Duane pushing his slide playing WAY beyond what you hear on the album version. Just five weeks before his death, and he was still developing. The slide sounds in this recording are thrilling, beautiful, majestic arcs of sound that range from tenderness to ferocity, with plenty of stops along the way. Never once in the whole song does Duane ever overdo it - something that could hardly be said of Derek or Warren. Simply put, this is Duane and his Brothers at their best.

Another gem is the 7.26.70 set, also recorded at SUNY Stonybrook. For people like me who love both the Dead and the Allmans, it's a treat to hear the guitarists reference the vocal melody from Dark Star ( "Dark star crashes, folding mixed light into ashes" ) at the beginning of a high-energy Mountain Jam (1:07-1:32). First Duane plays it, then Dickey answers, and then they set into that E Major pentatonic groove and take off into the sunshine...

Also: Cow Palace, 12.31.73 - no Duane, obviously, but Jerry Garcia and Bill Kreutzmann sit in for a MAGICAL Whipping Post jam.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:45 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: MUST-HAVE Allmans recordings from 1970-1971
On the Eat a Peach delux edition it has the complete Abb set from the closing of the fillmore,the wippin post on that is extremly emotional,Dickie realy shines on this,its like you can hear a breaking in that solo,anybody who has lost a love can idenify with it.
The Atlanta pop is also a good one,they open the fest and close it and its entirly 2 differant the 2nd time around.
I have a show from 1970 with Duane,Peter Greene sitting in with the dead,its not a very good recording though,they play on 3 songs and I think darkstar is one of them,unfortunitly It was deleted from my computer and I can't find the hard copy

http://mulearmy.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:02 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

OH MAN, Kev, I would love to hear Duane sitting in with the Dead. How sad that you lost it. Perhaps you can find it again on IsoHunt or something?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:52 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

kevhic wrote:
On the Eat a Peach delux edition it has the complete Abb set from the closing of the fillmore,the wippin post on that is extremly emotional,Dickie realy shines on this,its like you can hear a breaking in that solo,anybody who has lost a love can idenify with it.
The Atlanta pop is also a good one,they open the fest and close it and its entirly 2 differant the 2nd time around.
I have a show from 1970 with Duane,Peter Greene sitting in with the dead,its not a very good recording though,they play on 3 songs and I think darkstar is one of them,unfortunitly It was deleted from my computer and I can't find the hard copy

Thanks, I was wondering where I could find that last filmore show
and I've wore out my vinyl copy of EAP.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:01 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I'm at work right now so will have to look up and post the details later. I downloaded the 1970/02/11-14 run (not includung Bear's Choice and Dick's Picks items) recently. The set you want I think is 2/11. Look on etree. Libarchiver, clarification?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

You're saying that the 2/11/70 show is the one where Duane sits in the with the Dead?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

thanks for sharing this knowledge!

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:10 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

No problem man. If you love the Brothers and have a huge boner for Duane's live sound, as I do, you really owe it to yourself to check these recordings out.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:35 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Yes, the notes for the 2/11/70 late show on Dead.net say "*With Duane and Gregg Allman and Peter Green."

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

THANK YOU SO MUCH. With a forum handle like mine, you can imagine this is exciting for me.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:54 am Profile
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next