Last visit was: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:42 pm It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:42 pm

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 KILLERWHALE KILLS TRAINOR AT SEAWORLD 
Wanee Fan

Post Re: KILLERWHALE KILLS TRAINOR AT SEAWORLD
my understanding is that this particular killer whale was wild caught at the age of two! killer whales are actually very docile by nature. but they have long memories like elephants. i wonder if all the trauma of capture and moving around just created an angry, protective animal. sad really. the sad fact of life is that humans are overwhelming the environment and as we encroach on habitat there will be nowhere else for many animals to live except in zoos. displaying these animals for human entertainment, while horrible for many of us, does bring them into the public eye and raises awareness toward conservation. but i do not believe in forcing a wild animal to perform. for many large mammals in captivity, training activities break up the monotony of confinement and can actually enrich their lives.

ok, off my soapbox:)*hop*

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:32 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

It's hard to get past the analogy of a human being having to spend their entire life in a bath tub.

This whale is not angry. I don't believe he did anything wrong.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:40 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Wild killer whales are not considered a threat to humans, although there have been cases of captive killer whales attacking their handlers at marine theme parks.

killer whales don't kill humans in the wild. they only kill humans in movies and at theme parks.

and I agree, I don't think the whale was trying to kill the trainor.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

owllover wrote:
oh wait..and my coworker just said that she understands that THE WHALE PREMEDITATED THIS ATTACK/MURDER....

and no, I am not joking.

Don't cha just HATE having to work with idiots!

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:04 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Nataloi wrote:
owllover wrote:
oh wait..and my coworker just said that she understands that THE WHALE PREMEDITATED THIS ATTACK/MURDER....

and no, I am not joking.

OMG!!! i missed that post! what an idiot! i suppose it's possible the whale was "playing" and didn't intend to kill the trainer. however, the desciption of the event sounded a lot like the behavior these whales exhibit when defending young or hunting seal. either way, it's not the whale's fault! whether following instinct or "playing" this is a wild animal! hopefully he will be placed somewhere out of constant human contact and left alone. seems he's made it pretty obvious he's not safe in that environment.

ironically, the show was titled "dine with shamu" :mrgreen:

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:48 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

yes...coworker knows everything, just ask her. or better yet you don't have to ask, she'll just tell you.

I kept my mouth shut and didn't tell her what I thought of her "premeditaded murder" theory....

:roll:

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:51 pm Profile
Wanee Demi-God

owllover wrote:
yes...coworker knows everything, just ask her. or better yet you don't have to ask, she'll just tell you.

I kept my mouth shut and didn't tell her what I thought of her "premeditaded murder" theory....

:roll:

Well Killer Whales are VERY smart..........The Whale was over heard telling another whale...."Hey watch this!" Image

THE "MRS. VIPER DANCE"

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:01 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

one whale said to the other whale

I can drag that trainor to the bottom of the tank in 3 seconds

the other whale said

I can drag her to the bottom in 2 seconds

DRAG THAT TRAINOR!!

ok, this is in really bad taste. I'm just antsy, bored at work and ready for the weekend!! please forgive me..my bad :x

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:09 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

owllover wrote:
one whale said to the other whale

I can drag that trainor to the bottom of the tank in 3 seconds

the other whale said

I can drag her to the bottom in 2 seconds

DRAG THAT TRAINOR!!

ok, this is in really bad taste. I'm just antsy, bored at work and ready for the weekend!! please forgive me..my bad :x

:lol: we gotta laugh otherwise we'd stay angry all the time!

i remember seeing a documentary about a marine biologist that was swimming with a wild pod(i think). a big male grabbed her by the leg and pulled her down about 50 feet. then just as she thought she was going to drown it was almost like he changed his mind and swam with her back up to the surface and let her go! these are neat animals!

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm Profile
 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4