Last visit was: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:57 pm It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:57 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
 Driving through Macon. Any suggestions? 
Wanee Pro

Post Driving through Macon. Any suggestions?
My boys and I are taking the long way to Wanee and heading through Macon on the Wednesday of Wanee. We thought we would try to hit the H & H, see the Big House (unfortunately it's not open during the week) and lay some flowers at Duane and Berry's gravesites.

Has anyone done this recently? Any advice on the best/ fastest order since we want to get on down the road for Live Oak?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Driving through Macon. Any suggestions?
All I can tell ya is not to touch the fence around the grave sites,we went last year comin home from Mule in Atlanta,we never did find the big house,I would recommend mapping it out first,its very easy to get lost. Oh and they grease the fence so nobody will climb it

http://mulearmy.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:21 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

I just read today about the BIG HOUSE! :D

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

My advice would be to go down 441 stop at the gorge and tell the girl in the store you are headin' to Wanee. Then proceed on down to Athens, then Madison( beautiful antebellum homes).Then take 20 over to Macon, stop in at Mama's kitchen(?) go to Rosehill Drive. Don't touch the fence it has grease on it!Stay at a B&B. Get up, eat breakfast, and proceed on down to the finest festival ever!!BTW, you could stop at Madison Blue spring off state road 6 &I-75.It's all good just arrive alive!!

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:23 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

My mom lives right down the street from the Big House. They've just spent a lot of money renovating it and I'd definitely try to stop by.

As far as Rose Hill Cemetery goes: Check out Duane and Berry's grave. Last time we were there we met Berry's brother-in-law who acts as the caretaker of the gravesites (for what it's worth, he didn't have much nice to say about Greg). He showed us around to Little Martha and Liz Reed's graves, and showed us how to get to the alcove that overlooks the river (the one that Berry's standing in with the cape spread over the rest of the band). All of that's at the Cemetery.

The Big House, H & H, and Rose Hill are all in a straight shot, and no more than 10 minutes drive between all three. The H&H is a stones-throw from the Cemetery.

I know y'all are going to be in hurry, but if your drive takes you through Warner Robbins GA check out the military aviation museum. If you like war planes and stuff it's top notch.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:24 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Thanks everybody for the great advice so far.

It's kind of funny and sad that they would have to grease the fence. They certainly wouldn't have to worry about me jumping it.

The Big House just got through raising a bunch of money to restore and renovate the house. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Maybe they'll open for Wanee folks that day.

http://www.thebighousemuseum.org/

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:44 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

We were at the Big House weekend before last. It's a must see for any Allman Brothers fans. The staff mentioned that they were considering being open on Friday of that week and closing Saturday so they could all Wanee (they weren't sure of the schedule that week, so you might call ahead if you plan to drop in). You might consider dropping in on Sunday on your return trip.
We went by the visitors center downtown and they provided us with a map to the gravesites in Rose Hill and to the H&H (awesome eats!). Don't forget that the Georgia Music Hall of Fame is also located there.
Hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:36 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

I went to Rose Hill Cemetery on a whim one day when I was 19. Left Duane a doobie. Oh, to be spontaneous and 19 again...

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

derstrick wrote:
We were at the Big House weekend before last. It's a must see for any Allman Brothers fans. The staff mentioned that they were considering being open on Friday of that week and closing Saturday so they could all Wanee (they weren't sure of the schedule that week, so you might call ahead if you plan to drop in). You might consider dropping in on Sunday on your return trip.
We went by the visitors center downtown and they provided us with a map to the gravesites in Rose Hill and to the H&H (awesome eats!). Don't forget that the Georgia Music Hall of Fame is also located there.
Hope this helps.

Great info bro, Those pics have given me a new vibe to go back up. Love that stained glass!!!I want a copy for my house!!

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

You'll find that the Big House is well worth the trip. The staff there is some of the nicest folk anywhere. They'll make you feel right at home and answer more questions than you can ask. I have so many great pics from our visit, but didn't want to spoil it for you.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:31 pm Profile
 [ 10 posts ]