Last visit was: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:12 pm It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:12 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
 family camping area? 
Wanee Gnome

Post family camping area?
So fellow wanee goers, if all goes as planned with my husband's work schedule, we will be heading to wanee this year, arriving when the gates open Thursday morning. (We had planned to go last year but someone talked me out of it and I regretted it!) I was curious if there was a family camping area, or a spot that would be good? Last time we were up from the field in a small patch of trees. I'd love a wooded spot this time, since my car is too small for an ez up, and I sleep in a hammock. So any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall!

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:41 am Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

Post Re: family camping area?
dreadie....about the best thing to do...is simply drive around and look for a spot with your name on it. There are plenty of areas with lots of trees and woods. I'd start down River Road and watch for a good area....I assume you are bringing kids since you asked for a family area....just check and see what kind of neighbors would be close to the spot you select. I don't think anyone would mind kids...unless they are a pain in the butt....then all bets are off.
There are some good areas around the edge of the horse barn....plenty of trees and few neighbors in some locations. By Thursday...the park will be filling up...so you just have to see what is available at that time. Many come early to get "their spots"
Oh, and don't get on any locations with a number on them....even if they are open...they are reserved. Many that reserve locations come a little later than the primitive campers. They can and will have you removed....and that is never fun.
This park offers much respite from the sun...you just have to drive and look.
When you first go through the ticket area.....there is a road to the left....and down that road are many secluded and wooded sites....unfortunately some are a long walk to the venue.
Look at the maps....and decide which area you desire....and start looking there....maybe something will be open for you.
Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Thank you! I belive last year we were close to the horse stables. Not too close though, as it was a walk. I think we may arrive Wednesday if they let him off early enough, I just don't wanna pay an extra $40 if it's 2 hours before the gate opens. I will be bringing my 2 littles. It's my 4 year Olds second wanee. And my almost 2 year Olds first wanee. They both LOVE music. And my daughter is so excited to be coming back. She had a blast last time. I was expecting my son last go around (he made his grand appearance 4 weeks after the fest) so he barely missed it! Our neighbors last time were great, so I'm hoping we get that lucky again. ☺

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:04 am Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

Glad you can make it either way....
Wednesday is worth the extra money...in my opinion...as there are some good bands that play for the pre-party. That is....if you can get there early enough to set up and go listen. If it is gonna be real late....not so sure.
Most all primitive sites have longer walks. People with golf carts often will pick you up and carry you....if you can stop them and ask.....especially with two kids...it might be a tough walk. Or
definitely bring a red wagon to put the kids in....to keep them from getting too tired.....and you can carry you stuff easier with a wagon.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:22 am Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

Yep what Nole said. really are good spots everywhere. just need to avoid the lake and the bat field as its close to the drum circle.... We are bringing my 18 month old this time for his first Wanee.... but he has already been to Bear Creek, 2 Hulaweens and a dozen or so smaller fests... he LOVES music! in fact his name is Warren Skywalker Pierce, Warren for Warren Haynes... Skywalker cause its the effin coolest, and pierce cause of course its the great last name of me... all together his initials are WSP. Boom, game set match! ;)

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:34 am Profile
Wanee Peach

Gov'nah, You seem very knowledgable. It's our first time camping at Wanee. We have a farm field site. I see you mentioned the drum circle. What is that? Is the farm field area bad? We don't have kids coming with us. Does it have electric and water?

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:59 am Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

EllenandScott wrote:
Gov'nah, You seem very knowledgable. It's our first time camping at Wanee. We have a farm field site. I see you mentioned the drum circle. What is that? Is the farm field area bad? We don't have kids coming with us. Does it have electric and water?

Drum circle is just that... a all night drum circle of drummers with fire spinners and more. its actually a couple hundred yards down the road from the new Farm Field sites. There is really no "bad spot there. If you have a reserved site it is at bare minimum a water/elec site. Im pretty sure they did not add sewer out there.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:44 am Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

And the drum circle is not near what it used to be....
I used to be able to hear it from my site at the Lake....
but never hear it any more. Many of the drum circle people have their own festival now....so many go to it instead....or so I think.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:14 am Profile
Wanee Peach

Thanks for the info. See you soon!

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:02 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

When we go for Mag we've always camped up near the "Hidden Woods" area, opposite side of River Road from the Grand Hall. The inner portion of the loop dirt road is reserved, with electric & water; the outside is woods that are thick enough to provide some privacy & have trees for the hammocks, but thinned enough to make it easy to find a spot to pitch the tent. For Mag it isn't crowded or overly rowdy there (except when I get into the tequila); I'm not sure what it would be like for Wanee.

There's a bathroom/shower facility nearby, and it isn't too bad a walk to the stages (though the last couple of years we've started bringing bikes, which make it much easier when heading to the stage or to the river).

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:23 pm Profile
 [ 10 posts ]