Last visit was: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Dickey Betts 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Dickey Betts
jbow wrote:
Richard Betts.... what a great songwriter. Dreams I'll Never See; In Memory of Elisabeth Reed, Blue Skies... BUT who hasn't heard the stories. I remember hearing the stories (rumors to be sure) of Dickey riding a horse around the ABB property and shooting at intruders, ie: over zealous fans. I personally saw him kick his amps off a stage after one song and with a bodyguard on each side walk back to his bus. It was a gig after Berry died and the brothers were in flux, I guess it is understandable, but not really. He had just gone from being in the best band in the world to this particular show that was in middle GA somewhere (at that time all I know is I was there and remember what saw). It was a typical party out in the country, in a field. I don't remember if there was a bonfire but usually there was. They had a flatbed semi trailer set up for a stage. A lot of people had come to see him and he plays one song, or part of a song and kicks his amps off the trailer/stage. I followed at a discreet distance and watched as he took his fringed leather jacket off and threw it about 75 ft over a fence into the next field.
Dickey is a great guitarist and a good song writer but I can only imagine all the ABB had to put up with from him.
I grew up watching Berry play in the Roemans, what a show they were. They started every set I ever saw with the instrumental version of Goldfinger, which showcased Berry. We were in Macon one evening a few months before Berry died and were stopped at a redlight and he pulled up beside us on his MC... of course we were stoned as usual but he was really nice, smiled and waved.
I saw the ABB in 1971 when they were touring GA in prep for the Fillmore concerts. It was at Albany Jr. College, in the gym, festival seating. I had some "so called" psycilib1n on some yeast tabs, of course it was Lucy... I remember how the music moved so smoothly over our heads... it looked and sounded SO cool.... but I digress as usual, The ABB with Dickey are awesome. I also saw them in 2001 with Dickey and Warren. Warren does not replace Dickey. Warren compliments Dickey, and Dickey compliments Warren, it is a great lineup. The ABB is always great as are the Eagles but just as the Eagles are better with Don Felder, the ABB is better with Dickey... so long as he does not kick his amps off the stage. Me thinks people can only take so much, sort of like Popeye, "That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more". Maybe one day they will reconcile but I would be surprised. I will go and see the ABB without Dickey but refuse to pay to see the Eagles without Felder. I would DEARLY LOVE to come to Wannee, I grew up in Moultrie and a lot of my friends go and I figure I might be able to find something there that has become elusive for a 61 year old... but my wife is a CPA and April 15 is tax deadline. If it is ever moved to after April 15... I will be there in a FLASH!!
Fingers crossed for an ABB Betts reunion.
JB

Great memories, love it. Just one correction if I may…Gregg Allman wrote Dreams before he joined the ABB. Love me some GA.

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Dickey Betts
Jbow, just leave her behind. It's more fun that way. Just kidding, Wanee has had a few shows after tax day, dont worry, it will come.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:37 pm Profile
 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6