Last visit was: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 am It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 am

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Daytime UM?? 
Wanee Fan

Post Re: Daytime UM??
Spaztastiq wrote:
I'm a new to the scene and can't say I know much about setting up a fest schedule, but shouldnt a band like UM be playing after 7? I just had to change my arrangments and now am heading up thursday (not complaining about that). Does anyone else feel that a day time Umphrey's show feels weird? When I saw them at Langerado it was a much later show and allowed for much face melting.

I agree 100% UM is def a late show!

Veefinger wrote:
mule4ever wrote:
I agree Spaz.

I was really hoping UM was switching with the Wailers

Blasphemy..... You will be eating your works come 12:45 p.m. on Sunday morning. You just cant dance to Umprhees.

Can't dance to UMPHREYS? Have you seen them live?

Thu May 28, 2009 2:44 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

all technical, no groove.... but that is one mans opinion. they are like seeing Satriani, or Vai to me... great for about 15 min then my attention wanders. i will be wandering back to my campsite for a few beers during their set i am sure.

Thu May 28, 2009 2:50 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

I wouldn't say ALL technical and no groove- equal amounts of both.
But that's just my opinion.

Owl- agree about swapping Grace and UM.

Thu May 28, 2009 2:53 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

it just MAKES MORE SENSE. maybe UM has some sort of commitment that they need to head out for??

just puttin it out there. there is a notation that schedule/lineup IS subject to CHANGE... :roll:

Thu May 28, 2009 3:08 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

I know they're playing Bama the next night, but wouldn't think that would interfere with them playing a little later in the evening- who knows?

Thu May 28, 2009 3:29 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I am kind of narrow-minded when it comes to music. My thinking is that the rhythm section or groove of the song is merely something in the background and is just there to support the thing in the foreground. My “thing” of choice is the lead guitar. This is pretty much the 40 year old formula that the Allman Brothers Band uses.

Great guitar players can actually put me into a zone where I am almost hypnotized. It’s like something spiritual. The guitarists that can do that to me are few and far between. That is why I like Gov’t Mule and the ABB so much because Warren has done that to me every time. I actually prefer Mule because it’s all Warren over there.

Some of the others alive and dead that have this abiblity are Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eddie Van Halen, Hughie Thomasson, Joe Satriani, Eric Clapton, John Petrucci, Derek Trucks, among others.

I get very bored with reggae bands and other jam bands I have seen that don’t have that master guitar player. I’ve seen UM once and was expecting to get hypnotized and it didn’t happen, but I like what they are trying to do. Some of the live recordings they play on Sirius are just great.

Anyways, that is the one-sided me. My wife and I never agreed about the way to look at music. I always said that the singing was just a precursor to the lead and the lead was where the best part of the song was. She argued against me for many years because her favorite band was the Rolling Stones.

After I took her to a Mule show (my first as well) we stood in front of him and became hypnotized. After that day she came over to my side and admitted that the lead guitar is the most attractive and appealing part of music. Now her favorite band of all time is Gov’t Mule!!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Thu May 28, 2009 3:30 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Good post, lts. We share similar views about having the lead guitar player in there to make everything seem "whole".

That said, we definitely have a lot to look forward to next week!

Thu May 28, 2009 3:35 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

LTS, I think we'll get along just fine. I like your thoughts on guitar taking the lead, because I'm the same way!! :D

greg

Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

One year at N.O. Jazzfest, while my wife Pamela likes Santana, I mean, who doesn't, but she wasn't that thrilled to see him....until we did. She was blown away, as was I. Then he gets on stage with the Neville Brothers who introduce him as Carlos Santana Neville! Talk about your spiritual experiences!!

I've seen ABB at three Jazzfests. If you guys haven't done N.O. Jazzfest, I recommend it way way more than mardi gras. Especially this crowd! Oh why won't next week just get here?!? :)

greg

Thu May 28, 2009 3:59 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

A agree... but something about Warren does not move me like Duanne, Jerry, Jimi, Trey, Herring, even Derrick

What about the Keyboard player?

In reggae it is all about the Drum and Bass, that is the solo instrument. The bass is the Heartbeat of the People.

Thu May 28, 2009 4:04 pm Profile
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next