Last visit was: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 am It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 am

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Taper's Section 
Wanee Veteran

Post Taper's Section
Just staking out a spot for us.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:35 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Taper's Section
Who are the tapers?

We are the the folks who record the shows and make them available to you, for free, by various methods if allowed by the band. We are the people who often have the tall mic stands. Our equipment is valuable to us, please stay clear of it. Please understand that we stake out certain spots where the sound is best to get the best recordings. Please help us by not interfering.

The recordings will be shared by various methods, depending on what the band allows. For the Allman Brothers, all that is allowed is person to person sharing, no posting the shows to the Internet for download. We respect that request of the band. I would recommend buying their "Instant Live" recordings first.

How can you help? Well, some of the tapers appreciate a frosty beverage from time to time! But generally, its best to leave us alone and stay out of our way. We're busy! If you want to talk to one of us, wait until we are away from the recorders (& the mics!) please.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:12 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

nice tip CG...i have a taper friend and i have seen crazy acts around his set-up such as a lively lady that thought she could balance her unsteady self by grabbing onto the mic stand....
...and i'm being nice here,she was a mess...

people,let the tapers have their space!!!
...and we thank you guys for the tunes!

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:10 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Thanks, Wavo. I posted that because I think many people just simply don't realize what is going on. They don't realize that the mics we use are much more sensitive than those usually used on stage and will pick up any handling noise, including handling the stand at times.

You'll often see the tapers clustered in a certain area, which is the best spot for recording. The reason for the tall stands it to get up away from yapping people and to get a clear shot to the sound source. Generally at a festival like Wanee, a lower stand equals a poorer recording. A tall stand like that takes wide-spread legs to remain stable. People cutting through where the tapers are may not see the legs, causing all sorts of havoc. Plus there will be all sorts of bags with gear in them and cables run here and there so its best to avoid the tapers area all together!

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:28 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

will someone be taping dumpstaphunk?

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:10 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

freeWill wrote:
will someone be taping dumpstaphunk?

I'm sure somebody will. I know I will if the schedule permits. I will also probably record them here in Tallahassee on Monday April 6.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

that's great news. do you usually post your recordings on archive, or somewhere else? i love being able to relive show experiences

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I'm absolutely horrible about getting my recordings out there, I have literally 100 + recordings that have never seen the light of day, almost all blues bands. I'm very slow. There just isn't enough time or energy! Some will of course never be shared at the request of the band. I have put a few things on the LMA as well as torrenting them at bt.etree.org and DIME (if allowed by the band). I also occasionally B&P recordings, which is what I'll do with the ABB recordings of course, no online sharing. Dumpstaphunk goes to the LMA & bt.etree.org, maybe DIME too.

All of those places are chosen for legitimacy, no pirated commercial recordings. If the bands are going to let me record, the least I can do is honor their policies.

I'm home ill today so my plan is to get three recordings processed and ready to go, Seth Walker from last Friday, Nichole Hart from a while back (will see her again this Friday) and a Delta Highway recording from a while back that I need to send to the band.

Recording this weekend:
Friday: Nichole Hart & the NRG Band
Saturday: Springfest
Sunday: NMAS & the Hill Country Revue

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:13 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Recorded last weekend:
Doug Deming & the Jewel Tones with Dennis Gruenling
a bunch of local Tallahassee bands
Papa Mali
Sarasota Slim with Nitro Bozeman

Recording this week (hopefully):
Col Bruce Hampton & the Quark Alliance
Peter Karp & the Roadshow Band
Tinsley Ellis

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:23 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Cyber,

did you happen to tape Papa Mali at Wanee last year (might have been the year before, they tend to run together for me)? I thought he was great.

Also, I'm sure you will be hammered after the festival for the ABB show. I would be happy to help spread the shows through some type of tree if you need the help.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 am Profile
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next