Last visit was: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:59 am It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:59 am

[ 8 posts ] 
 Getting around SOSMP especially during Wanee 
Wanee Pro

Post Getting around SOSMP especially during Wanee
The best way I have found to get around the park is with bicycles.

Walking is fine if you're only going a short distance but if you're camping farther away from the stages the time it takes to get to and from is a problem.

Golf carts are great for getting you to where you want to go quickly but really degrade the air quality with fumes and kicking up the dust. If you do use a golf cart, the electric ones don't put out the fumes and are the better choice IMO.

Stopping at BOS/SOS campsites for a visit along the way makes any trip Waneeful!

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:59 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Getting around SOSMP especially during Wanee
Ditto on the bicycle being #1. Pattie and I have a tandem Mountain bike, and it was a *blast* during bear creek.

However, for many a bicycle is not a valid option, due to health.

Gas VS Electric.. charging is the big difference. They both throw dust, so thats a moot point.

If you have a site with electricity, charging is not a big deal. Park it, plug it EVERY time... you will be fine. For those who camp in primitive, it can be a hassle. Nothing worse than having to push , or worse yet abandon cart due to low charge. Gas is easier to find than finding charging facilities at the park.

Gas carts RUNNING CORRECTLY will put of negligible fumes. Having said that, this last weekend at the park there was some di*khead running around in a cart lifted 3 feet and smoking like mosquito control. Easy way to get all to hate gas carts.

Gas carts (stock) generally have more consistent power, and more power period. Generally speaking. There are scary fast electric carts... but they suck up battery power.

Now the $$$. The park wants to discourage carts, so they have a $200 fee just top get it in the gate. One must also get insurance, but that is reasonable, it cost me ~$80 for a years coverage. Should you have a handicap, and a state exemption or permit, the $200 fee is waived as the cart is a 'medical device'.

The Park has rentals, but they are ~$125 a DAY if I remember correctly. The rentals are generally sold out in the first day, or even before. Not to mention they are poorly maintained. Count on at least one flat tire when you pick it up. When I use a rental there, I *always* bring my own tire gauge and air chuck. Air gauge to measure the pressure (duh..) and the air chuck because they take the one out of the compressor at night sometimes. (for those so inclined, they use the Milton 'm' style of fitting.)

So... bikes are greenest, but the most work. Carts are worse environmentally, but have the benefit of being able to pick up passengers along the way. And give people tours around the park. And carry firewood, ice and/or other weighty supplies. And, and... well... Sort of an apples and oranges comparison. Money and transport issues aside, I like to bring BOTH. :lol: A close second is bring a bike, have friends with a cart. :)

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:27 am Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

You make some very valid points. It's a matter of doing what you can to make the roads less congested, the air cleaner and getting from place to place. I know that bicycles are not an option for everyone nor are electric carts, but if those of us who can use bicycles or walk do so then the people who need carts will not be stuck in traffic (and will be able to give the rest of us rides for ice, etc.) :)

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:18 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

If you have ever been to a Suwanee River Jam they just load everbuddy up in dat der big ole truck and drive round in circles.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:55 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

nickyler wrote:
If you have ever been to a Suwanee River Jam they just load everbuddy up in dat der big ole truck and drive round in circles.

Sounds like a country fest to me...

Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:01 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

nickyler wrote:

Counterclockwise, of course.

There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it.(and make you dance your azzoff!)

Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:06 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

ReverendHugh wrote:
nickyler wrote:

Counterclockwise, of course.

No right turns. YeeHa! :lol: :lol:

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:41 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Feets don't fail me now!

There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it.(and make you dance your azzoff!)

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:13 pm Profile
 [ 8 posts ]