Last visit was: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:26 am It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:26 am

[ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 171  Next
 MUSIC TRIVIA 
Wanee Master

Post Re: MUSIC TRIVIA
tieyourshoes51 wrote:
Volkemon wrote:
LOL... Waneebe enlightened me.

:D

See, that's the think about aging memory. I can remember the details about this question but not that I asked it before.

George Duke and Billy Cobham were buds and bandmates, but there was a period of time when, contractually, they could not appear as themselves on each other's albums.

So George Duke (GD) would call himself Dawilli Gonga, and, less cryptically, Cobham used Cobly Bilham.

So who was OBDEWL'L X?

And, by the way, the clip Volkemon posted above is excellent! New to me! Thanks!

BUMP

I posted a bunch on nonsense there. FOCUS, SCOTT, FOCUS!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:46 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Frank Zappa

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 am Profile
Wanee Fan

What Frank Zappa single did Dweezil cover as a tribute to his old man?

(too easy for TYS)

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:59 am Profile
Wanee Master

nomad wrote:

(too easy for TYS)

Not answering! Great question. And good answer, Waneebe. When Frank appeared on George Duke's second album on BASF, "Feel," playing two guitar solos, he could not appear under his name contractually, so he called himself Obdewl'l X.

The situation is not unique. Here is a blurb from allmusic.com about a very famous situation in which Charlie Parker was called Charlie Chan on the album cover:

This concert was held at Massey Hall in Toronto, Canada on May 15, 1953, and was recorded by bassist Charles Mingus, who overdubbed some additional bass parts and issued it on his own Debut label as the Quintet's Jazz at Massey Hall. Charlie Parker (listed on the original album sleeve as "Charlie Chan") performed on a plastic alto, pianist Bud Powell was stone drunk from the opening bell, and Dizzy Gillespie kept popping offstage to check on the status of the first Rocky Marciano-Jersey Joe Walcott heavyweight championship bout. Subsequent editions of this evening were released as a double-live album (featuring Bud Powell's magnificent piano trio set with Mingus and Roach), dubbed The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever. The hyperbole is well-deserved, because at the time of this concert, each musician on Jazz at Massey Hall was considered to be the principle instrumental innovator within the bebop movement. All of these musicians were influenced by Charlie Parker, and their collective rapport is magical. As a result, their fervent solos on the uptempo tunes ("Salt Peanuts" and "Wee") seem to flow like one uninterrupted idea. "All the Things You Are" redefines Jerome Kern's classic ballad, with frequent echoes of "Grand Canyon Suite" from Bird and Diz, and a ruminative solo by Powell. And on Gillespie's classic "Night in Tunisia," the incomparable swagger of Bird's opening break is matched by the keening emotional intensity of Gillespie's daredevil flight. A legendary set, no matter how or when or where it's issued.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:17 am Profile
Wanee Master

One more comment about Charlie Parker. I became friends with one of the unsung heros of the bebop jazz scene. He was Idrees Sulieman (born Leonard Graham) from St. Petersburg. He was a contemporary of Dizzie Gillespie and highly regarded. He recorded on dozens and dozens of great Prestige recordings with John coltrane and others before moving to Europe, as did many American jazz artists who felt underappreciated here. He moved back in the late 70s. In fact, I published Sulieman's discography in 1980 (I need to put it on computer, in my spare time).

Idrees related a story about attending an afternoon classical performance with Parker, who had an incredible ear. Later that evening, on the bandstand, Idrees said Parker was taking a long solo, and Idrees realized that Parker was reciting a long passage from the afternoon's concert almost note for note.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:30 am Profile
Wanee Pro

cool story TYS

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:30 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

DoctorRob wrote:
cool story TYS

music trivia is not always a question. Sometimes a once in a lifetime...trivial... Musical... event. :P

And So cool. Thanks TYS!!

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:28 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Master

I hope somebody remembers this is a trivia thread and answers the question. But I can't help myself: two stories about Dizzie Gillespie, whose name was John Birks Gillespie (hence the great song "Birks Works").

Idrees told me a story about the origin of Tadd Dameron's famous song "Hot House." He said it referred to the rooming houses where many musicians went to get high (or low, depending on the drug of choice). Dizzie's wife, Lorraine, was a tough cookie who tried to keep Dizzie on as short a leash as possible and did not want him hanging out in those places. But Dizzie was a naughty boy. At a show one day, he playfully bit one of the girls on stage on the rear, and everyone saw it and laughed. Right up until the time word got back to Lorraine. At another set later in the evening, Dizzie was supposed to walk off stage, but he looked up and spotted Lorraine in the wings, waiting to give him what-for, calling him a "bebop motherf!*ker!" Everybody was laughing this time, except Dizzie!

Dizzie played the Tampa Theatre in 1981. After the show, we were in line to meet him and get an autograph. Two young cats ahead of us were asking Dizzie about the album "Portrait of Jenny," a true masterpiece done with piano, bass, guitar and percussionists and Dizzie. In his inimitable growl, Dizzie replied, "Oh, you can't get that! It's out of print!" At which point my wife walked up to Dizzie, handed him HER copy of "Portrait of Jenny," and got him to sign it. The look on the faces of those two young guys!

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:09 pm Profile
Wanee Master

nomad wrote:

(too easy for TYS)

BUMP!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:50 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Go ahead and answer. Need a fresh question....

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:35 pm Profile
 [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 171  Next