Last visit was: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:07 pm It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:07 pm

[ 1704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 171  Next
 MUSIC TRIVIA 
Wanee Master

Post Re: MUSIC TRIVIA
Just a guess but I think it's Robin Trower :?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:27 am Profile WWW
Wanee Master

Dartdog82 wrote:
Just a guess but I think it's Robin Trower :?:

Trower was certainly a pretender to the Hendrix throne, but he was not sub-human!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:47 am Profile
Wanee Pro

I had to cheat! The sub- human part makes sense now. Crazy story!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:57 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Blackmore

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44 pm Profile
Wanee Master

maestro63 wrote:
Blackmore

I'd argue that Blackmore was semi-human. He certainly knew how to chase singers out of his bands.

But he wouldn't be the close confidant of Marion Hammer and Wayne laPierre.

Hit it, happycamper!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:40 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Ted Nugent?

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:11 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Waneebe wrote:
Ted Nugent?

The Motor city madman himself. this was at a point when his two albums on DiscReet, Zappa's label, had done well, including "Stranglehold," a true rock anthem.

Here is Marino's version:

Frank Marino vs. Ted Nugent

"The Lowdown on the Showdown"

I was playing Detroit one night and Ted was the opening act and then halfway through my set his roadies pushed his amps onto our stage and he began trying to out-volume me. I was pretty stunned because I thought "what a jerk", but I didn't want my guys to throw him off the stage 'cause I felt that he'd make something out of it, so I played along with his gag and answered all of his riffs, quite easily I might add. I guess he got a little un-nerved 'cause the crowd could see that it wasn't really working for him, so he tried to finish it off by playing with his teeth, of all things, which he did real slow and jerky. I guess that he really didn't believe that I could do that 'cause i wasn't givin' to doing those things in those days, but any guitarist can tell you that it's quite easy to do, although I guess to Ted it was the "big hard", so after he finished his lick and the crowd grew silent waiting to see if I'd respond and I waited and waited until it got real quiet. You could hear a pin drop in that hall and I could hear a friend of mine offstage whisper, "do it". So after an enormously long pause, and just as Ted started to strut towards me, I picked up my axe to my teeth and let loose with a blitz of notes, loud, long and fast. Well, the crowd goes nuts and I guess Ted, to his credit, realized what happened so he falls down like he's been shot and I guessed that meant that I'd won or something. To this day, I think it was the single most stupid thing that I'd ever seen in music. I remember that Ted began to go around the country doing these battle shows. They asked if I'd do it with them but I declined. I think that this was the day that the "WWF" came to rock and roll and I really think that Ted was dumb to do that kind of crap. As to whether I blew Ted Nugent's doors off, I think we should ask the fans that were there and remember it. After that, Ted and I ended up at the same management for a while along with Aerosmith, and he always acted like he didn't like me very much, although I couldn't imagine why....

Ted's more polite response later on:

Ted's Response:

First of all, I have to say that Frank Marino is an incredibly gifted virtuoso. In all the communications I had with him, he seemed to be a very kind and witty man. He had a great touch with that black guitar inspiration that he ultimately got from Jimi Hendrix. I can only say positive things about his music. With all due respect, I am not angry or hateful by any stretch of the imagination, I have nothing but love for Frank Marino.

Frank did so many drugs back then – believe me, not knowing that there was a guitar battle going on was the least of his worries! The guitar battles, as they were called, were not battles by any stretch of the imagination. I have always loved jamming. I would jam with whoever would jam with me so I could feed on their spiritual, intellectual, emotional and primal sensations that each and every musician has uniquely. Frank had all of those. He was deep into all different types of peddles and sound effects; he was a wizard at it and was very gifted in that aspect. I was genuinely inspired and moved every time I saw him play.

The promoters at the time realized that Ted Nugent & the Amboy Dukes, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Mike Pinera & the Blues Image and the MC5 were not selling a lot of tickets. We might sell a thousand seats here and there. The booking agent saw that Mike Pinera was killer but could only sell a few tickets. They saw that Frank Marino was killer but he could only sell a few. Ted Nugent & the Amboy Dukes were doing a little better because we had new records out but we still could not get out of the few thousand seat places. The MC5 were killer but they were losing their energy and their touch because of the drugs. We were all on the same management and they came up with the concept of guitar battles. It is just like everyone enjoys the Mohammad Ali press brouhaha before the bout. We would all get onstage together and jam at the end of the night – it was really the beginning of the extended jams of the late 60’s. Sometimes our concerts would go three to four hours and only be three songs. It started being promoted as The Battle of the Guitars. We would get up onstage and we would have fun during a jam session. We might get a little bit corny or hammy. Mike Pinera was the master of that; he was better at it that I was. Plus we were all killer guitar players.

I don’t agree at all with Frank that it made me look bad. Those that thought it was a contest really thought I won because I was just more outrageous onstage but you can’t really claim that one guy’s guitar playing is any better than another guy’s, except on your own personal preference. Some guys will tell you that Joe Satriani is the best and other guys will tell you that Angus Young is the best. I would call neither of them the best. I would call them all the best. To be able to jam with Frank Marino was something that I really appreciated. I never looked at who won or lost because I think everyone won because of the music and the enrichment capabilities from the diversity level from the different guitar players. I am glad to see Frank is doing some stuff now. Nobody heard of him playing for years, which was really a crime.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:36 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Go, Judie, go!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:36 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
Go, Judie, go!

I really knew very little about Ted Nugent. So when you reiterated “sub-human,” he was the only one that came to mind. :o :o :o :o Complete shot in the dark. No pun intended.

Please be my guest and take the next question.

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:51 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Here's a different spin on the trivia question. I'm asking a question I don't know the answer to, but I am sure someone out there knows. What band had the opening slot at the first Wanee? Did they use both stages that year?

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 pm Profile
 [ 1704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 171  Next