Last visit was: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:13 pm It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:13 pm

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Hulaween reviews, discussion, recap? Anybody? 
Wanee Lover

Post Hulaween reviews, discussion, recap? Anybody?
Anyone that was there up yet?

There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it.(and make you dance your azzoff!)

Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:45 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Post Re: Hulaween reviews, discussion, recap? Anybody?
ReverendHugh wrote:
Anyone that was there up yet?

Best festival at the SOS, thus making it the best festival anywhere.

More to come later on when I recover and have more energy.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:35 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

cant wait mango :)

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:19 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

I have heard the same from others. They really do it big for Hulaween.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:07 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Hulaween by far has been the best fest that I have been to at SOSMP! Plenty of Cheese, but not too much to constipate me! Crowd really seemed to be mild compared to what I was expecting too (Not saying there weren't any spun young uns out and about)! Friday night Cheese show was off the hook! They put on an awesome show and Awesome Sauce (Keller's new band) just rocked the house not to mention his sit in with Cheese on Saturday! Beats Antique put on a killer show! My only complaint was the was they had Spirit Lake stage (too close to the Amp Theater & had cross over of bands a few times). I was riding along with Papa Pete (Camp Terrapin Travelers) and came across a gentlemen in a white suit with an unlit Cuban Cigar reading instructions on how to set up his tent! We watched him for about 20-30 seconds and asked if he needed help (which he did and we set up hit tent in about 4 minutes for him)! That was just too funny!

The art installation at the lake was cool as hell! Scrog and company put together a sweet Cosmic Swirl (just bummed some jackass slayed the tennis ball dragon on the first night). Definitely some skilled artisans there!

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:24 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Thanks brother! I wish we could have been there with you!

There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it.(and make you dance your azzoff!)

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:08 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Capt Brian wrote:
just bummed some jackass slayed the tennis ball dragon on the first night

There's one in every crowd :evil:

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:25 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

thanks for the review capt. :)

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:51 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Ok, I'm back to add a little to my previous post.

Hulaween is incredible, and its taken the title of my favorite music festival. Here are some reasons why, in no particular order:

1) amazing crowd: such a friendly group of people, tons of love, really didn't see any strung out sketch-balls, but a crew that likes to party

2) Spirit Lake: incredible addition to the festival/festival grounds. I spent literally several hours there throughout the weekend. Some amazing visual and performing arts. And then when there are sets of live music on the Spirit Lake Stage, its like paradise. Spirit Lake at 1am, with Kung Fu playing, metal statues burning, artists painting, ariel silk dancers performing, and everyone having a great time; I'm pretty sure that is what heaven is like.

3) Cheese: nuff said, but I will say more. There ability to combine different genres of music within a single set (and even within a single song) is truly amazing. Love these guys. Some great supporting acts as well.

4) The schedule: loved how the schedule was lined up. Cheese playing on the earlier end, at first I thought was gonna be non-ideal, but having the headliner play earlier on, right as darkness hit, worked out great and freed up the night for things to get weird later on....in a good way. I also appreciated that they had a variety of late night acts, and at times multiple late night acts at the same time.

5) great vibe: see #1; I really thought the Wanee vibe couldn't be beat, and I'm not saying Hulaween did, but it certainly equaled it

-6)no chairs: I don't say this in jest, I am serious when I say that this has a huge impact on the live music experience. Its exceedingly frustrating to see 1,000+ chairs clogging up the entire front of the stage. It was so nice to actually be able to stand by the stage and move around without stumbling over empty chairs every 2 feet.

7) Festival set up: loved the utilization of 3 stages; Spirit lake as above; the schedule which in and of itself adds a lots to the festival set up; the stage at Spirit Lake (it would be ridiculously amazing to have Spirit Lake be rolling with music 24 hours a day); I really can't imagine a better organized and run festival

8) Chill security/police: speaks for itself

9) The size: just the right amount of people; certainly not small, but plenty of room to spread out camp and have some personal space (especially in the horse camping area which is my jam); also the shows themselves weren't over crowded

10) The time of year: granted it was a bit colder than I would prefer, but to be honest with you, I will take cold at night and beautiful weather during the day, over beautiful at night and hot during the day. I actually enjoyed the weather, as it enabled me to actually get some sleep (ok just on Sat, I didn't sleep at all on Fri, haha) which was a pleasant surprise. Love that time of year in FL.

Alright, long post, but I wanted to share some of the things that I thought were amazing. I decided not to bore you with reviews of the music sets, you can find those by professionals elsewhere, but I did want to pass on some of the things that made this festival incredible to me.

I really hope Wanee adopts some of the above. Specifically adding a third stage (come on LN, this is well past due, and don't tell me the the Traveling Stage counts), expanding the late night options (including later sets and more than 1 late night option each night), and if possible some type of visual arts area similar to spirit lake (although I realize space is much more of an issue at Wanee). You can do it LN, step up your game!

Recap: wonderful weekend, a beautiful place, with beautiful people. Cant wait to be back at the SOSMP.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:45 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Great post! One that makes me want to attend next year! I always thought of you as a genius anyway ;)

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:11 am Profile
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next