Last visit was: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:20 pm It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:20 pm

[ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 How did you choose your forum name?? 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: How did you choose your forum name??
Petewhit is short for my real name Pete Whitley. It's the first thing that pops into my head and I use for everything.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:49 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Mine comes from Phish - The Mango Song, which I am going to listen to now since its been brought up.

I actually didn't put much thought into it, as I was just creating a name to post a question. Now, even though I havent been around very long, I'm hooked on the board.m I still like my name though, good things come when you don't over think them,

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:39 am Profile
Wanee Pro

treehugger wrote:
I really hug trees. ;)

And I really hug the one who hugs trees

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 am Profile
Wanee Lover

For a few years I have posted/blogged in our local paper, The Naples Daily News. This is a VVEERRYY republican town and I grew up a NE Democrat. My moniker was GratefulDem. I joined the forum as such but after a couple of years decided to "neutrilize" my name for the forum. No politics here.
So I went with GratefulBob, which sounds kinda dumb. I wish I had gone with GratefulThem to include Fran like AndieBee suggested.

Maybe Doug can make the change. :D

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Let's see,

I was a professional musician (egyptian percussion, i.e. dumbek, tar, riq, etc... bellydance drums 8-) ) for 20+ years. After spending about 5 winters in a row in Hawaii (mostly Waikiki with camping jaunts over to Maui) I kinda sorta developed a taste for Japanese women (I remember my third winter there I was admiring a couple of them walking past when my buddy, also white; started talking with them in Japanese and I thought D'oh why haven't I been studying :cry: ). Anyways my bellydance band had broken up and I hooked up with a guy who could play a mean celtic fiddle; now it may not look good on paper and I would have never have thought to mix the two but Celtic fiddle and Egyptian drums produced a glorious, upbeat, fast paced music that just made everyone smile and go wow (think bluegrass with insane Arabic rhythms, if I can find a song or two from our CD I'll try to post one).

So me and Jansen were playing together on the street in Portland and Seattle for a few months, making good money, playing festivals and saturday markets when one morning Jansen showed up and said he couldn't play cause of some sort of fun guy he met the night before with his girlfriend :lol: He did say however that him and his girlfriend had decided they were going to Tokyo. Now I know what you're thinking, I jumped at the chance right? Well no wrong, for some reason I got upset "c'mon we just got this thing going, were making good money, why you gots to leave right now?" That night as I lay in bed I thought, you idiot, they want to go to Tokyo, you've been trying to get to Japan for years :roll: :lol: . Anyways the next morning I asked if they still wanted to go to Tokyo, and they said "Oh, well hell yeah". So I says "well let's go" 8-)

We spent the next month or so recording every set we played, listened through and put together a CD. We named the band Rock Star in Japan, we called the CD Must've been a motherf!*ker (an amalgam of my two favorite CD names from the Supersuckers: Must've been high, and motherf!*kers be tripping.) We then jetted off to Tokyo.

Now I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking but I arrived in Tokyo, the most expensive city on earth, with only $100, my band, a few CD's, a place to stay, supreme confidence in my abilities, and I was kicking a dope habit at the time (it was a long time ago, luckily I'm one of the lucky ones that made it out of that sort of lifestyle). It cost me half of my $100 just to get from the airport to our apt in Tokyo, I woke up the next morning dope sick, about broke, in a foreign country whose language I couldn't speak except for to flirt with the women (I was pretty good at that 8-) ) and thought "what the hell did I just do?"

It turned out alright though, within a day we were pulling in about $300 an hour playing and selling CD's (split three ways), working an hour or two a day and partying every night. One of the best three months of my life.

Hence my handle Rockstarinjapan :D

Will

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:54 am Profile
Wanee Master

mike12859 wrote:
Boy, I wish I had a cool story like you guys. :(
I was gonna go with "mikewithdanumbers" but is seemed to long so I just threw my birthdate in there.
Honestly, if I had known when I did it that this forum would evolve into this massive (and awesome) community that it is, I'd have given it some more thought!
At the time I figured I would ask a few questions, get a few answers and be done with it.
I am so glad I hung around with y'all! :D
Who'd a thunk it?????

This post is both FRIGGIN hilarious!! and very true!! im glad to!! Love ya Bro!

ImageImageImage

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:16 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

I am really happiest when I am camping. At a festival, on the river, in a tent,with the family in the RV, with friends or flying solo in the wilderness. It's one of my favorite ways to clense the soul.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:20 pm Profile
Wanee Master

hugginthetreehugger wrote:
treehugger wrote:
I really hug trees. ;)

And I really hug the one who hugs trees

ive seen it, its true! :)

ImageImageImage

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:25 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

mine comes from one of my favorite jerry songs

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:15 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

my friends started calling me Shroomin Newman in high school 8-) ;)
Dont remember exactly who came up with it tho

And good thread idea ;) :D

Last edited by shroominNewman on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:15 pm Profile
 [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next