Last visit was: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:21 pm It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:21 pm

[ 7 posts ] 
 Koko Taylor 
Wanee Veteran

Post Koko Taylor
CHICAGO (AP) -- Record label: Grammy-winning blues singer Koko Taylor dies in Chicago at age 80.

:(

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

...But the fighter still remains.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:00 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: Koko Taylor
:( Listening to "Bring me Some Water". Very Sad news.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:45 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Breaking news in the online version of the Chicago Tribune within the past few minutes.

Koko Taylor, the Grammy Award-winning "Queen of the Blues," died Wednesday afternoon at Northwestern Memorial Hospital of complications from surgery, according to Marc Lipkin of Alligator Records. She was 80.
Taylor, born Coral Walton on a sharecropper's farm outside Memphis, came to Chicago in 1952 and worked as a house cleaner. She began to sit in with blues bands and in the early 1960s signed a contract with Chess Records after being approached by Willie Dixon. In 1965 she recorded her signature song, "Wang Dang Doodle."

She sang that song at her final performance last month in Memphis at the Blues Music Awards after being honored as Traditional Blues Female Artist of the Year.
Survivors include Taylor's husband, Hays Harris; daughter Joyce Threatt; son-in-law Lee Threatt, grandchildren Lee, Jr. and Wendy, and three great-grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements are being made.

Taylor had been playing 200 shows a year for decades. But that ended in October 2003 when she was struck down by a heart attack and slipped into a 28-day coma. Friends feared for her life. When she emerged from the hospital after four months, she had to re-learn how to walk. She didn't perform again until the spring of 2004.
When Taylor came to Chicago, she was thrilled by the music she encountered in the South Side clubs, amplified and raucous, a harder incarnation of the back-porch brand of blues she had heard in the South. It was the heyday of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, and "Pops" Taylor persuaded them to let Koko sing. "I closed my eyes and I got started," she said in a Tribune article published in March 2007. "There were no other women on the scene."

But her big voice won her a following, and she was instantly accepted. Dixon in particular became a mentor, and persuaded her to record "Wang Dang Doodle." Taylor was sheepish about the risqué subject matter because of her gospel background, but it soon came to define her feisty style.
-- Trevor Jensen and Greg Kot

Blues-L web site: http://www.netspace.org/~blues-l/

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:54 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Very Sad...

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:42 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

Indeed, this is very sad news.

What do you mean, "caffeine isn't a vitamin"?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Too many angels indeed. SShe was a wonder and will be missed.; I think she would want us to dance :|

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:34 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

That is too bad, I really remember her from back in the day. She was all over the Chicago blues scene back in the 90's. She had some freakin' pipes man.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:23 am Profile
 [ 7 posts ]