Last visit was: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am

[ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Magnolia Fest 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Magnolia Fest
Thank you all for your honest comments. I was unable to break free to be with all of you at this event . Not seeing Bonnie was weighing heavy on me. :( As Always, my Brothers and Sisters made me feel whole again!
Wanee Love

peace, love and hugs

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:57 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

I had a wonderful Magnolia Fest. Not the most awesome, mind blowing MagFest ever, but it certainly was a fine weekend with a ton of great music, and the awesome friendship of my extended MagFest family.

Bonnie was as I expected; I've seen her before, and she always turns in a fine performance, if not spine tingling. You have to remember she's mined the pop end of the musical spectrum for over twenty years, and she is several decades away from being the little acoustic blues slide goddess, hanging with the likes of Mississippi Fred McDowell. That said, I love her band, which has some of the finest players available, and who have worked with her for decades with only one change in personnel. Bonnie is a crossover artist, with attendant crossover appeal. So, no complaints from this end.

Personal favorite sets for me, in no particular order: Anders Osborne, the Mosier Brothers, Chris Robinson Brotherhood(!!!), Truth & Salvage Co., Jimmy Herring(!!!), Jim Lauderdale, and Will Kimbrough.

Lauderdale and the Mosiers are regulars to the MagFest roster; they are like old friends to me, and I just happen to love what they do. Will Kimbrough is my personal guitar hero; he's on tour in Emmylou's band, and his resume was already impressive indeed even before he hopped on board w/ Emmylou. He's a fantastic guitarist / songwriter / performer in his own right; and his little set in the barn rated a 10 out of 10 from me.

New acts: Chris Robinson's band was totally badass. Loved his drummer. But everyone played their patooties off. A great set from them. And I'm gonna keep waving the flag for Truth & Salvage until they manage to get more than fifty people to check them out. They kick ass! Their slot draw was a shame, squeezed in with Donna and Mofro, guaranteeing them a poor turnout. But I chose T&S instead and am not sorry for it. I heard they have moved from Californy to Gnashville, so with any luck, we will see them touring into FL regularly. Go see them!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

a good stage for tornado rider :) one two punch of lee brothers and new orleans suspects was fun too.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:52 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

B-Bob: What about that guitar player with Col. Bruce?! AJ Ghent.

Man! That cat can PLAY!

Ahem.

Yeah - Mag Fest was a lotta fun. Yall shoulda been there. 8-)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:26 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Wow, Magfest was amazing! That was our first Mag but it won't be our last. I truly wish all of you who missed it could have been there.

A few highlights for me: Anders Osborne, Chris Robinson Brotherhood JJ Grey and Mofro -( I fell in love with JJ again! :oops: It always happens. That man has such a fantastic energy and a great connection with the crowd.) At the end of their set, Roosevelt Collier from the Lee Boys got up and jammed with JJ's horns and they threw down something absolutely mind blowing. Might have been the musical highlight of the festival! And then of course Jimmy Herring Band. Such amazing musicianship all around. Emmylou Harris. I love her voice, her spirit, and her beauty. I haven't seen her in over 20 years and it was so amazing to see her again! So many more I can't mention them all. But my favorite part of Magfest was hanging with my peeps. We had more time to hang out than we do at Wanee, because of the less rigorous music schedule, and not nearly as crowded. Getting to spend time with the fam and really getting to know some of our sisters and brothers better was what has me still glowing! This is the most loving, beautiful family ever and we are so very blessed. And my daughter was there to share all the magic and bond with the family even more. This makes me happy. :D Meeting new family, and seeing them light up with the same magical wonder we have all felt at the SOSMP was a beautiful thing. SOSMP is truly a magical place, and we are truly blessed. :D :D :D

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:33 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

for us it was a special time too. did not even know we were going until tues night a couple days before all of a sudden we were listening to the excelllent thusday night show.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 am Profile
Wanee Master

treehugger wrote:
Wow, Magfest was amazing! That was our first Mag but it won't be our last. I truly wish all of you who missed it could have been there.

A few highlights for me: Anders Osborne, Chris Robinson Brotherhood JJ Grey and Mofro -( I fell in love with JJ again! :oops: It always happens. That man has such a fantastic energy and a great connection with the crowd.) At the end of their set, Roosevelt Collier from the Lee Boys got up and jammed with JJ's horns and they threw down something absolutely mind blowing. Might have been the musical highlight of the festival! And then of course Jimmy Herring Band. Such amazing musicianship all around. Emmylou Harris. I love her voice, her spirit, and her beauty. I haven't seen her in over 20 years and it was so amazing to see her again! So many more I can't mention them all. But my favorite part of Magfest was hanging with my peeps. We had more time to hang out than we do at Wanee, because of the less rigorous music schedule, and not nearly as crowded. Getting to spend time with the fam and really getting to know some of our sisters and brothers better was what has me still glowing! This is the most loving, beautiful family ever and we are so very blessed. And my daughter was there to share all the magic and bond with the family even more. This makes me happy. :D Meeting new family, and seeing them light up with the same magical wonder we have all felt at the SOSMP was a beautiful thing. SOSMP is truly a magical place, and we are truly blessed. :D :D :D

+1
This was our first Mag also, but won't be our last. 8-)

The smaller crowds was a plus.
The Low Country Boil was out of this world as was the Jambalaya,White Bean Chili,Goulash,Vegetable soup, the Mixer and all the hugs and laughter.

JJ Grey and Mofro were fantastic as was Chris Robinson Brotherhood. Honey Island Swamp Band became one of my new favorites, don't forget COPE, so many more to name.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:44 am Profile
Wanee Pro

So nice to see all that were able to come, for those that couldnt or need a refresher, here's my youtube channel with vids from Mag Ill be putting more up as well. Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssblues1?feature=mhee

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 pm Profile YIM
Wanee Master

Adam just posted an incredible slide show over on the BOS/SOS FaceBook page.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:24 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

^^^^LIKE^^^^^ Funny how I am such a Facebook addict that I try to click "like" on here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm Profile
 [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next