Last visit was: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 am It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 am

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 What was your 1st camping Music Festival 
Wanee Master

Post Re: What was your 1st camping Music Festival
I once knew a guy named Ralph O'Rourke... :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:34 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Does following the Dead without a sufficient plan for where to sleep that night count? :D Back in '86, me and my buds went to the Rubber Bowl in Akron to see the Dead, and Bob Dylan backed by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. This would have been July 2. Killer show, and local for me. My one bud was a huge Deadhead [as was I] and wanted to see them two days later in Buffalo on the Fourth of July. He had a reliable car, we had nothing better to do ;) and so we drove up that morning. A real mess w/ traffic, but we scored tix and had another great day of music, and a great July 4th setlist from Jerry & co. Jerry wore a red shirt for the show :) Later on, we didn't know what to do for a place to crash, and some freaks said 'follow us!' ... we did for about an hour; they had a private camp somewhere along Lake Erie, south of Buff. We partied all night with our new friends, and eventually got a few winks in the car. I woke to a gorgeous morning, and took a dip in a cold, clear stream next to the camp to freshen up. We shuffled on home, weathered, but really no worse for the wear. That was a fun couple days! And really the only time I 'toured' with the band; I held down a day job, so Dead shows were always one-offs for me.

But my first real camp fest, was at SpringFest at SOSMP in 2002. I wanted to learn about bluegrass, which I had about zero experience with, other than the iconic album that the Nitty Gritty boys put out; Circle somethingerother :P ... I took my son, who was all of seven. We camped with a friend, who was camping with others right about where Waneetopia is, and a hard partying / up-all-night group it was. They were really put off by some stranger bringing his kid to their camp, but it all worked out. One of my favorite memories of that trip was driving in on Thursday, the fest was well underway, and a line of cars was crawling along the main road. I spy this old guy in a suit, walking along the road, carrying a fiddle, saying 'hi' to all the passerbys and drivers. We passed, and I said hello to Vassar Clements. I was like Flounder at the end of Animal House~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZdeg_fL-I
:lol:
... and we've been going to SOSMP twice a year ever since! Actually, this year, it'll be FIVE fests there :shock: :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:36 am Profile
Wanee Lover

H.O.R.D.E festival 1997 at the SOSMP with Neil Young And Crazy Horse,Toad The Wet Sprocket,Leftover Salmon,and Squirrel Nut Zippers.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 pm Profile
Wanee Master

beach bob...that was a grate story....and haven't we all been there....
meeting up with total strangers and having a waneeful experience.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:25 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Wanee 2007 for us! Rained like hell on Saturday night! Wife raised so much hell, she "insisted" we get a camper for the next time! We opted out for 2008 and have not missed one since 2009!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 pm Profile
Wanee Demi-God

Capt Brian wrote:
Wanee 2007 for us! Rained like hell on Saturday night! Wife raised so much hell, she "insisted" we get a camper for the next time! We opted out for 2008 and have not missed one since 2009!

I think you got just a little rain in '09 also........ :shock:

Came down in BUCKETS!!

THE "MRS. VIPER DANCE"

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:56 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Wanee 2010..i brought beer to sell. i thought it would be like a Dead lot..boy was i wrong

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:09 am Profile
Wanee Demi-God

ch1narider wrote:
Wanee 2010..i brought beer to sell. i thought it would be like a Dead lot..boy was i wrong

Beer to sell????
Hell I brought beer to drink!!! :lol: :lol:

THE "MRS. VIPER DANCE"

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm Profile
Wanee Master

ch1narider wrote:

Was that you with the wheelbarrow full of ice??

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:55 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

mine was actually wanee music festival 2012! :)
i had no idea what i was getting into and let me just say, i had the best time of my life in those short 4 days i was there and i cant WAIT to go back next year! i'll be much more prepared for it this year now that i know what its all about. :)

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:32 am Profile
 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next