Last visit was: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 am It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 am

[ 10 posts ] 
 Today is a Special Day For Me 
Wanee Lover

Post Today is a Special Day For Me
Ten years ago today, I was in Colorado with my sister when our mom called from a strange 603 number to tell us that Dad had been in a motorcycle wreck. The connection was bad, so I said "Dad?". She misunderstood and replied "Yeah...really bad." He'd sustained a Traumatic Brain Injury and when he woke up, he thought it was 1989 and Reagan was president. The crew that airlifted him to Dartmouth wasn't sure that he would live...much less walk, drive, work, ski....

It's been a long road, but to meet him today, you'd barely know that anything was amiss (aside from the fact that he occasionally appears drunk to strangers).

My family is truly blessed.

It's true....never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

....and wear all your gear....all the time.

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

...But the fighter still remains.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: Today is a Special Day For Me
<3

ImageImageImage

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:01 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

I ride and I'm guilty of not wearing ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). But it was strange this morning, I doubled back, picked up my helmet, and put it on...

I'm glad everything turned out for the best Jess... :)

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:24 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I get it...it's SO easy to skip...

...but, honestly, my dad shouldn't be alive. He t-boned a car and was thrown...and then he landed on his head. The helmet & plates in his jacket saved his head, neck, spine, etc. As it was, the force cracked his helmet AND his sternum.

Motorcycles sort of make me sick to my stomach now...but I would never fault someone for wanting to ride or stop someone from riding. Until recently, as much as I hated it, Jason had a motorcycle. I can absolutely appreciate the freedom and joy that it brings people.

Just please, please, please be careful.

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

...But the fighter still remains.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:54 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Riding a bike is great it's just the idiot's in cars riding next to you that are scary :shock:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:59 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Jensen B Gator wrote:
Riding a bike is great it's just the idiot's in cars riding next to you that are scary :shock:

VERY scary at times, just glad we don't live ina very populated area...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:35 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Jess thanks so much for sharing this! I've been riding since I was 17 and always wear a helmet. I hear the argument all the time from people who want to "ride free", but once you've seen a horrible accident, it just makes sense to me to wear one. Knock on wood, but I haven't been in any type of accident on a bike, but I've seen a few. Be safe friends. I'm so glad your dad is doing well. Miracle that he is.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:42 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Jess, that's a great result for your dad. Glad he made it through. I used to ride some when I was young but gave it up after hearing horror stories from and about friends and family who weren't as lucky as your dad. About ten years ago, a friend, who had been riding for almost 30 years was out cruising, went around a curve at 30 mph, hit some sand and ended up underneath a pickup travelling the other direction. He survived but it basically severed his left leg off. Not against riding or anything just too many stories lead me to stray away...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Glad he was able to recover. I suffered from a TBI & have "never been right since" or so says my family, lol. I take it all in stride (& I get that too where ppl think I'm on something & I'm like no...this is how I act sober). I was biking, though mountain biking & hit a hill wrong, then wrapped myself & bike around tree. BUT I was wearing an helmet & it cracked in half but saved my life. It's great your dad had a support from his family- it makes a big difference.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:38 am Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

good to hear good news

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:35 pm Profile
 [ 10 posts ]