Last visit was: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 pm It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 pm

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Let's keep the park magical 
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: Let's keep the park magical
granger@cp-tel.net wrote:
yeah, I hate to dwell on anything negative but:

1) trash and, from what I can tell, no recycling opportunity

2) I guess when fests get bigger (was this bigger? people told me it was) you get all sorts, but my wife also saw the guy, or a guy, peeing in the crowd at the main stage and, well, say what you will about New Orleans but jazzfest will have 75k people a day and we've never seen that happen in the crowd. He's just one guy but it sure left a negative impression.

3) the yakkers! Why oh why would people do what it takes to get right in front of the ABB and then talk and talk and talk to one another with no regard for the performers nor for we who want to actually pay close attention to what's on stage!???!

4) I wish folks would've heeded the call somewhere on this forum to not throw glo-sticks around. I didn't see anyone get hurt, but the potential was certainly there.

And, finally, I saw a young man get carried out of the midnight DTB show around 1:30 a.m., bloodied up nose, ambulance called, etc. I don't know what happened, but I assume it was a fight from the look of the injury. I hope he's ok and that the Wanee Spirit will turn things around for him and do away with violence, leaving an improved soul who can have a great time just grooving to the tunes under a Full Wanee Moon. And what a beautiful moon it was Saturday night!!!

We hope to make it next year and if we do we'll do our part to keep the best things about Wanee alive.

greg and pamela

1) Agree. I think there are some recycle containers near rees lake, but there definitely need to be more opportunities. And yes, I hate seeing particularly glass bottles on the ground considering I'm barefoot all fest.

2)Wow, more public urinating than new orleans? It must have been bad. Yes, this was at least 3 times the crowd than any festival I've been to at this venue...more like 5 times the crowd.

3) Yeah, saw a couple wookies throw up next to me Saturday night at the ABB show...I don't think they were aware of much of what was going on. Got nothing wrong with how anyone wants to party, but got to know your limits.

4) Yeah, those little rope glow sticks won't hurt anyone, but I saw some of the heavier ones thrown around, which could hurt.

This was by far the best festival I have ever been too. The lineup was awesome and no one dissapointed. The weather ended up being perfect. However, this world could use a bit more respect for one another.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:18 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

leave only footprints, take only memories.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:29 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

I'm glad to hear the young man wasn't hurt through violence, and of course wish him well. That also means I saw no violence at all, just rudeness. I've attended over 30 cajun mardi gras and lived in New Orleans, I'm familiar with the species, but I hope Wanee doesn't continue along that path. I definitely want to say, and Pamela's with me on this, that it was a fantastic time overall and in more specific ways than not. Thanks to you all for prepping me well in advance! We're back in our home on the Louisiana cow pasture. Pamela's got a nasty head-n-chest cold, but it'll pass.

greg

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:21 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

belloefelice wrote:
The ONLY complaint i have. Was the Mini Rave at night. There was a tent sent up via "Mellow Mushroom" and a dance floor and about 9 people, eff'd up with glow sticks.

Ya know! To each his own, have fun....But! this is not Ultra Fest. Its Wanee Fest and when your crappy single beat techno, blocks me from being to listen to DTB at my camp, im gonna get mad...

SO! Whats a girl to do....Send her Hippie Mob to shut it down (which she did) ! And 45minutes later and the rest of Wanee...NO MORE DJ :) -Kudo's to you 1kitty-

YAY!!!!!!!!

Ehhh a fest is a fest. I thought the Mini Rave was a blast. Plus the Mini Rave didn't last too totally long, and when it's pumpin' there you could always go to the stages... or just exploring =)

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

Regardless of your taste in music, I think out of respect for those at the fest you should stick to the music for the particular fest. Every fest has its own pace and rhythm.

I've been at springfest playing ABB and had a neighbor request that I put on some bluegrass. They were ABB fans and planned on being back for Wanee, but that was a bluegrass fest. I agreed and played bluegrass for the rest of the fest.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:57 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
;) That is all I did at the campsite...constantly picking up cans, etc...Finally at near the end I dragged the blue can closer..to no avail!! Still have garbage in my bag I carried(well mine anyway!) But agreed the place is magical!! Same with the golfcart I kept picking it up!! Had recylcle bags but that ws an endless feat as well! But did have an ashtray ....don't know how many people used it?? I did or tried too!! At the rail during the mule I did get hit in the head with a big beachball... :lol: didn't hurt but am glad it hit the back of my head!!! :lol: So now we novices have our feet wet.....next yr we will know more of how to make things go a bit smoother....Peace 8-)

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

This post was not meant to be a negative rant on the people, park or this festival. Wanee was amazing and the majority of the people who attended this fest were equally fantastic. My pont was simply to raise awareness that this is not your typical music venue and is also an enchanting park and land that deserves our utmost respect. I will be coming back to Wanee and the park many more times. I love the fact that the people on this board are already adding suggestions for recycling and thinking of how we can improve the trash situation. This is a great community and it's a real example of how respect, love, peace and music can bring us all together in harmony. Honestly when the biggest complaint is that people dropped some trash it just goes to show how incredible this all is. Thanks to all of you for making Wanee!

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
:o Daughter told me that is how it is at festivals? :? You pick up later???? In my book later never comes!! I said I don't want to step in some chocolate or other sticking substance and track it into the TTrlr? It was enough work trying to keep the mud at a minimum! Oh well I haven't been to a festival in yrs so now I know just do it later :roll: I will go another way next time...For that many people it wasnt too bad but am trying to teach younger ones YOU make a mess YOU clean it up!!! I am just old fashioned in ways?? :D

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:39 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

hAPPY cAMPER 71 wrote:
leave only footprints, take only memories.

that's my girl!!

I was pretty surprised..we left on Monday and the park was in pretty good shape by mid afternoon on sunday. I do think they should have had better recycling opportunities. I threw away every cig butt in a trashcan..it's TRASH MAN.

I'd sure like it if less people were there though. I just never imagined it would be that big, spread out...and that it would be so difficult to find people. other than that, I loved every bit of it. downpours not so much!!

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:43 am Profile
Wanee Peach

I'm still sprinkled with Magic Wanee Dust.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:06 pm Profile
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next