Last visit was: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 pm It is currently Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 pm

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 SOSMP MATRIARCH RIP, New Tree house being built on the River 
Wanee Peach

Post SOSMP MATRIARCH RIP, New Tree house being built on the River
http://www.suwanneedemocrat.com/news/je ... a101d.html

http://www.suwanneedemocrat.com/news/tr ... TNNoMobile

I thought everyone might be interested in this. I live very close to the SOSMP, so if I can get close to the new tree house the next few weeks, I'll post some pics.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:11 am Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: SOSMP MATRIARCH RIP, New Tree house being built on the R
I saw that on Face Book. Very sad news, but what a legacy to leave behind. Tree house looks interesting.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:45 am Profile
Wanee Peach

The top article is about her. Says she went up on a lift and on the platform for the treehouse LAST WEEK at 86 years old. It's a really good article about her & the evolution of the park. It also touches on Live Oak's music history. Jim Walter Homes sponsored a radio show featuring the Stanley Brothers which was broadcast from Live Oak. The Stanley's lived in Live Oak for years & Carter Stanley's family stayed here after he died in the 60's. I think the show was named Suwannee River Jamboree.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:58 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Thanks for sharing.

I got a little emotional reading that, and I had never even heard of the woman before. But the fact that she is responsible for creating such a beautiful place for beautiful people to congregate and share something we all love; literally my favorite place on earth; we should all be thankful. Thank you Miss Jean!

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:28 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Thanks for posting that, she sounds like a neat lady.

Btw, where is the new tree house that's going up? I somewhat expect my boys will want to check it out next time we're up there, especially if they see the tv program about it.

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:35 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

hatfieldmaderain4la wrote:
http://www.suwanneedemocrat.com/news/jean-cornett-mother-of-bluegrass-festivals-and-music-icon-remembered/article_7e478988-ae57-11e4-bd4c-bbfbef4a101d.html

http://www.suwanneedemocrat.com/news/tr ... TNNoMobile

I thought everyone might be interested in this. I live very close to the SOSMP, so if I can get close to the new tree house the next few weeks, I'll post some pics.

Awesome new tree house. Sad for the loss. Thanks for the update. I second SeaPA, I would like to know where this is. I can see that the river is right behind it in that pic, but that doesn't really narrow it down. Also, if you could do like you did last year and post pics of the River when it gets close to wanee time, that would be awesome. You were a great help last year.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:38 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

What a legacy Miss Jean created. It's a wonderful feeling to know that she had the opportunity to stand in her tree house and look at the river. Thank you so very much for your vision for the SOSMP.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:58 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Thank you for sharing, wish I would have met her.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:19 am Profile
Wanee Lover

grandmacracker wrote:
What a legacy Miss Jean created. It's a wonderful feeling to know that she had the opportunity to stand in her tree house and look at the river. Thank you so very much for your vision for the SOSMP.

:D

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:23 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Any of yall been going long enough to remember getting two dollar bills in change from the old General Store?

They'd have "Uncle Charles" Carrithers' picture pasted over Thom Jefferson's on the front of them. I think it was a way for the Park (and others) to gauge the economic impact the SoSMP was making on the area...

Look for Uncle Charles' memorial out by the drum circle area, next time you're out there.

And when you're in the Music Hall - check out the glass cases filled with memorabilia, on the East side of the building (to your left as you face the stage).

I'll join the chorus of voices saying: Thank you Miss Jean, and all the Cornett family, for helping us share the magic and majesty that is the Spirit of the Suwannee. We are grateful.

Your family is known for Bluegrass, but I'll quote a more modern American songwriter in my goodbye to you:

"...River gonna take me
Sing me sweet and sleepy.
Sing me sweetly and sleepy,
all the way back back home.
It's a far gone lullaby
sung many years ago.
Mama, Mama, many worlds I've come
since I first left home.

Goin home, goin home
by the waterside I will rest my bones.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
to rock my soul.