Last visit was: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 pm It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 pm

[ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Moonshine 
Wanee Wizard

Post Re: Moonshine
Figured I'd put "the recipe" at the end of the thread for anybody that wanted it!

Rivernole wrote:
For you apple pie freaks....(recipe)....easy/peasy

Mix together:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider
8 cinnamon sticks
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
Bring to a slow boil....reduce heat to a simmer. Be sure to stir regularly as you don't want the sugars to get too hot and burn (if it does/throw away and start over). Simmer for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely before adding alcohol. If not cooled the ingredients will not blend right and will separate. Be sure to cool to room temperature (or close to it).
Once cool....add a liter of 190 proof Everclear (or moonshine, if you can get it). Not every state allows 190, so you might have to improvise with the amounts. If you use vodka (which some do) or the store bought moonshine, remember that it is only about 80 proof....which means you will have to add more. EC can be found in most liquor stores...just ask).
I add vanilla extract to mine......some recipes call for vanilla vodka to give it an ice cream flavor for the apple pie. This step is not required...just something a little extra for extra flavor. If you add vanilla vodka...you might want to reduce the EC amount according to how much you add. Amount of alcohol is determined by how strong you want it.
I also add a cinnamon stick to each "clean" quart jar and if you want to use right away...you can add some apple slices. Haven't tried putting slices in for an extended time...don't know what would happen(?)
Put in a cool dry place for week or longer....the longer it sits the better it becomes. Or refrigerate.
Enjoy you freaks....

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:17 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Jeff...are you making a batch for Lock'n?
This makes about 12 quarts....at around $6 a quart.
A grate value for a sharing experience.
Also, I did not filter mine, thus it has a texture to it because of the apple cider. You can pour through a clean towel/cloth etc. to filter out the pulp.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:43 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

No, I won't be making any for Lockn' but will be on the lookout for Everclear on the way home. We can't buy it here, can't even find the 150.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:57 pm Profile
Wanee Master

You can probably buy the moonshine in your liquor store....even though the strength will probably be about 80 proof....
If that is the case, just use more than if you use Everclear. I would guess about 1 1/2 times as much as EC. You might experiment a little with that.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:11 am Profile
Wanee Master

80 proof moonshine :?

as a born and raised Son of the South all I can say to this is SHHIIITTT that ain't no moonshine :twisted:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:26 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Jensen B Gator wrote:

as a born and raised Son of the South all I can say to this is SHHIIITTT that ain't no moonshine :twisted:

No kidding! I'll be shopping on my way home from Lockn'...

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:22 pm Profile
Wanee Master

When I was in College at UF we used to make what we called a Hunch Punch with Everclear 190 proof and various fruit punches.
Wicked :twisted:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:06 pm Profile
Wanee Master

EnjoyingTheRide wrote:
Jensen B Gator wrote:

No kidding! I'll be shopping on my way home from Lockn'...

As a math teacher, I'd have to say 80 proof does NOT qualify.

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Ex-wife #2 (mother of our children) went to a friend's house during Super Bowl '81. All women, not watching the game. they had a punch she REALLY liked. She had NO idea it had grain alcohol in it.

Got home and decorated the bedroom in lovely Koolaid red!

The next summer ('82), we were working at a summer camp. All of the counselors went out after the last day of camp for a night of drinking. As the evening wore on, she figured she'd had enough to drink, so she ordered an iced tea. As she drank it, she got more and more hammered. At that time, none of us had ever HEARD of a Long Island iced tea. WHAMMO again!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Fool me nice shame on you...

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:07 pm Profile
 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12