Last visit was: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 am It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 am

[ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Moonshine 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Moonshine
But I think that is for a liqueur. 1/2 cup of 191 per 1/2 gal of juice isn't going to get the job done. I think use the ingredients from this with maybe some additional brown sugar but use the relative quantities from Rivernole's recipe.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:35 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I mean 1 cup or 191. Still...

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:36 pm Profile
Wanee Master

I was just looking at that... We'll see...

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:39 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Rivernole wrote:
If someone knows how to bring up the recipe and post it here, please do so...it can be found on page 4 of this topic.
Try it...you'll like it.

This is what you posted on page 4 nole... if that's what you meant... :)

For you apple pie freaks....(recipe)....easy/peasy

Mix together:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider
8 cinnamon sticks
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
Bring to a slow boil....reduce heat to a simmer. Be sure to stir regularly as you don't want the sugars to get too hot and burn (if it does/throw away and start over). Simmer for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely before adding alsohol. If not cooled the ingredients will not blend right and will separate. Be sure to cool to room temperature (or close to it).
Once cool....add a liter of 190 proof Everclear (or moonshine, if you can get it). Not every state allows 190, so you might have to improvise with the amounts. If you use vodka (which some do) or the store bought moonshine, remember that it is only about 80 proof....which means you will have to add more. EC can be found in most liquor stores...just ask).
I add vanilla extract to mine......some recipes call for vanilla vodka to give it an ice cream flavor for the apple pie. This step is not required...just something a little extra for extra flavor. If you add vanilla vodka...you might want to reduce the EC amount according to how much you add. Amount of alcohol is determined by how strong you want it.
I also add a cinnamon stick to each "clean" quart jar and if you want to use right away...you can add some apple slices. Haven't tried putting slices in for an extended time...don't know what would happen(?)
Put in a cool dry place for week or longer....the longer it sits the better it becomes. Or refrigerate.
Enjoy you freaks....

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm Profile
Wanee Master

The relative strength is more than you think when added to the recipe. Remember 190 proof is 190 proof....it is not the 80 proof or so of most liquor. In Florida...the strongest you can get is 150 proof...but even that is strong enough.
You really don't want the liquor to overpower the taste of the pie. You want the taste of the apple/peach to come through...thus it's name.
You can make as strong as you like though.
I have never made the peach so can't comment much on it. Also, I put an extra cinnamon stix in each jar. I sterilize my jars and lids...never hurts.
And if I made the peach this way...I think I would squeeze the juice from the slices...as you are going to screen the slices out of the finished product.
I also don't screen my apple pie recipe out....just leave it whole...the cider bits will sink to the bottom.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:50 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Thanx ETR...that is it. It is simple...just remember to start with a large pot as there is a lot to this when added together.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:53 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Thanks for posting the peach pie recipe. Gonna have to get some of that going this weekend so it can sit a couple of months before Wanee.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Rivernole wrote:
Thanx ETR...that is it. It is simple...just remember to start with a large pot as there is a lot to this when added together.

i like large pot.... wait we arnt in the 420 thread are we?!?!?!? :o :o 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

ImageImageImage

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 am Profile
Wanee Lover

"For you apple pie freaks....(recipe)....easy/peasy

Mix together:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider
8 cinnamon sticks
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
Bring to a slow boil....reduce heat to a simmer. Be sure to stir regularly as you don't want the sugars to get too hot and burn (if it does/throw away and start over). Simmer for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely before adding alsohol. If not cooled the ingredients will not blend right and will separate. Be sure to cool to room temperature (or close to it).
Once cool....add a liter of 190 proof Everclear (or moonshine, if you can get it). Not every state allows 190, so you might have to improvise with the amounts. If you use vodka (which some do) or the store bought moonshine, remember that it is only about 80 proof....which means you will have to add more. EC can be found in most liquor stores...just ask).
I add vanilla extract to mine......some recipes call for vanilla vodka to give it an ice cream flavor for the apple pie. This step is not required...just something a little extra for extra flavor. If you add vanilla vodka...you might want to reduce the EC amount according to how much you add. Amount of alcohol is determined by how strong you want it.
I also add a cinnamon stick to each "clean" quart jar and if you want to use right away...you can add some apple slices. Haven't tried putting slices in for an extended time...don't know what would happen(?)
Put in a cool dry place for week or longer....the longer it sits the better it becomes. Or refrigerate.
Enjoy you freaks...."

just wondering, how long would this keep in the fridge without fruit? I would love to make some and add apples a week or 2 before i plan on drinking it. Have a constant supply type of thing.

Thank you for this, great thread and great info.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:20 am Profile
Wanee Pro

If you are going to add apple slices is it best to add them right before wanee? I would think leaving them in there for an extended period like weeks or a month, the alcohol would make the apples mushy over time.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 am Profile
 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next