Last visit was: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:38 am It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:38 am

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hammock Thieves 
Wanee Gnome

Post Hammock Thieves
The Hammock thieves took my buddy Jeff's hammock mid-day on Saturday. I have heard about the guy who chops them down after the show is over, but this is rediculous.

Any one else have their hammock taken?

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:05 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: Hammock Thieves
chair stolen, idiots

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:06 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

We hung our hammocks at the shroom stage on thursday and took them down right after the wailers. I know there are bound to be lousy people anywhere but I always hope that stuff like that wouldn't happen at this festival.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:11 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I took mine down after DTB.... I saw people abusing them throughout the people. Trying to put three people in them, using them as swings.... I was like WTF, no respect for other peoples property who are nice enough to let other people use them.... :x

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:15 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Veefinger wrote:
I saw people abusing them throughout the people.

:lol:

Yeah, I pretty much expected my hammock to get destroyed if I left it there. It actually survived pretty well, just need to get some new rope.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:27 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

i thought it was general admission policy? i dont condone theft or distruction, but planting a chair or hammock should not be a reserved seat!

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:36 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

akalee wrote:
i thought it was general admission policy? i dont condone theft or distruction, but planting a chair or hammock should not be a reserved seat!

I agree that anyone can use it as long as they get out when I want to use it. Otherwise, what's the point of hanging one in the first place?

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:46 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I lost my chairs, tapestry, sunglasses, and cowboy hat...left them at the Peach stage when the Wailers came on came back and they were gone....chalked it up to giving back to Wanee. We pounded that tiedye into the ground dancing on it during the ABB on saturday....damn that was a great show...they all were.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

I have noticed hammocks in the trees at Wanee's past. My first trip I was just awed by the beauty and coolness of the Mushroom stage area. Those massive trees and the blending of nature and function... First trip I thought they were just a part of the park's stage area. In '08 I learned that those were placed by people and shared freely (though I never took advantage of the opportunity since I usually tote a chair along anyway). After the SSR closed the fest (sniff, missed that this year - became sort of a tradition... "Take a load off Annie...") some of the guys camped next to our site came back late with some chairs and a hammock! I asked them what was up and they told me that after the show ended they spoke to someone on staff and asked what they did with the stuff. He told me they said that they cut them down and toss them. He (my neighbor) asked if he could have the hammock and was told take whatever he wanted...

If all true that could explain alot. Even if it was just a lowly clean-up guy who gave out incorrect information (to who knows how many people!) that one year... all those people STILL think it is simply approved practice to claim unattended items after the last show ends and the folks have left the area.

When leaving a chair behind I ALWAYS ask around to some of my always cool neighbors if they plan on staying put until.... and would they mind keeping an eye on my stuff for me. Never been turned down, never lost a chair, never failed to meet the best people and have a great time sharing the music with them! If you are late getting back or forget to go back, I guess considering it a donation to the cause is the best course of action :D No sense being upset by it.

Every time I help someone at a Wanee (with either a donation of food, a forgotten item I can spare or just helping someone locate a lost camp site ;) , whatever...) they almost always offer something in return. I just tell them to pay it forward the next time they see a brother or sister in need. So next year you might be at Wanee and casually mention to someone your missing hammock and find yourself being surprised! I'll give you an example:

A, now, dear friend helped us out the first year after we got flooded out in Horsecamping (2007) with hot coffee and breakfast. She had mentioned the night before about having had one of Warren's picks in her camera case, but the camera had been stolen the past winter. She said she was only distressed by the pick being MIA, not the camera. Her husband had been sharing and helping us novices since we tried to set up and even shared a few rum and cokes to boot! We swapped e-mails and addies after the event, promising to stay in touch and meet next year at the same spot (which we did).

Upon arriving home I posted my "Wanee story" on the Mule fan site I belong to so as to share my great experience and inspire someone else to attend. I soon received a PM from someone who just felt moved by my post. She sent me her pick taped to a card with the date/song and a nice note filled with stuff that would make a polar bear feel all warm and fuzzy inside (now another dear friend of mine!) I went and bought the best bottle of rum I could find (from Trinidad/Tobago) and you can guess the rest can't you? Keep the faith and stay strong, there are still plenty of great people on this planet to meet!

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:31 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
:o Is that you BADDAD???? I was just looking for your number to call you to see if ya made it home ok??? THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING IF THIS IS THE BADDAD????Love YA BRO...miss ya and your presence already :cry: :D

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:45 pm Profile
 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next