Last visit was: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:44 am It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:44 am

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Your 3 best debut albums of all time 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Your 3 best debut albums of all time
Dave Mathews band. Under the table and dreaming

Pj ten! Y'all named a bunch of good ones

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:27 am Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: Your 3 best debut albums of all time
It has taken me ages to come up with an answer to this post, and I might change my mind, but:

These are the three albums I listen to regularly -- a lot -- that were awesome debuts (we'll argue about EQT in a moment).

This Was -- Jethro Tull
This was recorded in 1968, but my brother and I did not latch onto the LP until after we saw them at the Laurel Pop Festival (with buddy Guy, Edwin Hawkings Singers, Al Kooper & Orchestra, Johnny Winter and Led Zeppelin). This is STILL my favorite Tull recording.

If -- If
Jazz-rock group from England recorded in 1969. I think I have all of their stuff either on LP or CD, but this one is the masterpiece (followed by If 3). Check out "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack?" Saw them open for Zappa in 1973.

Drinking Man's Friend -- Eric Quincy Tate
OK, technically this is their second LP, but the band didn't really get to play on the first one, and this is the one I heard first. "Brown Sugar" (not that one), "Things I Think I'll Find," and "Whisky Woman" are simply indescribably delicious.
Not available on CD. Rats...

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 pm Profile
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3